Unsung heroes aid UNC men's tennis in 4-1 win over Duke

tennis duke Blaine Boyden

Senior Blaine Boyden, business administration major, plays for the UNC men's tennis team against Duke on Thursday, Feb. 28, 2019 at the Cone-Kenfield Center. UNC won 4-1. Boyden won his singles match.

Blaine Boyden bounced the ball twice before throwing it up into the air. 

Everything slowed as the ball hovered above his head before the lone senior hit his iconic serve. The yellow ball hit midcourt and connected off-kilter with Blue Devil Vincent Lin’s racket, flying out of bounds. With a raise of his racket, Boyden walked to the net to shake Lin’s hand, signifying the end of the Court Four match. 

The lone senior remained humble after his win, standing on the sidelines to cheer on his teammates as they continued to battle through the team’s ACC opener. He was one of the two unsung heroes during No. 6 North Carolina men’s tennis’ 4-1 win over Duke, which marked the team’s first outdoor match of the season. 

This was the second time the team has won the Battle of the Blues this season. 

“It’s a rich history within the rivalry,” Boyden said. “Both teams are obviously wanting to win that one bad. It’s always going to be a battle with UNC-Duke so it’s really special to get the win heading into the ACC season.”

UNC had two standouts nestled in a star-studded lineup — Boyden and junior Simon Soendergaard. Both competed in doubles, ultimately winning their separate matches, and stepped up in singles, although Soendergaard wasn’t originally slated to play. 

The Denmark native is coming off of an injury, stepping back onto campus in January after spending last semester at home. But as he and sophomore Mac Kiger battled for a 7-5 victory in doubles, he played as if no time had passed. 

“At the beginning of the season, I hadn’t played any matches for a long time, but I’m starting to get into my rhythm now,” Soendergaard said. “It’s nice being back on the court. It’s better than being on the sidelines.”

After sophomore Benjamin Sigouin couldn’t compete during singles, Soendergaard entered the lineup on Court Six. Once the junior stepped onto the singles court, he dominated. He won 6-1, 6-2 as the first Tar Heel to finish in singles play. 

“I had a general idea that I was going to play, but you got to be ready no matter what,” Soendergaard said. “If I’m not playing, I’m just going to try to cheer as much as I can for my teammates. Regardless, I’m just trying to contribute as much as I can to the team.”

Soendergaard and Boyden are both unranked, but have winning records. Soendergaard is 5-1 in doubles, including 5-0 with Kiger and 4-1 in singles. Boyden leads the team with an 8-1 record in singles, but he is 5-3 in doubles. With partner junior William Blumberg, the lone senior is 5-2. 

Out of the Tar Heel lineup, four players are nationally ranked. First-year Brian Cernoch is No. 100, Blumberg at No. 68, Sigouin is No. 52, and lastly, junior Josh Peck leads at No. 48. Cernoch had the clinching win today, but without the play of Boyden and Soendergaard, the Tar Heels may have fallen as Blumberg’s singles match was neck-and-neck at 5-5 in the second set and Peck lost 6-3 in straight sets. 

UNC head coach Sam Paul didn’t hold back when complimenting the lone senior. 

“His grandparents were here today, and I said, they got so much to be proud of him because he’s an honors student in the business school, works like crazy, and then (has) a 3.8 or 3.7 grade point average, and the first guy on the court, so he’s earned it,” Paul said. “It’s an honor to be with him.”

Paul even went as far to label Boyden as one of the greatest to ever play at UNC, especially after his crucial play against the Blue Devils. 

“He’s one of the best to ever play here from the things he can control, his attitude and his work ethic,” Paul said. “One of the best workers that we’ve ever had here, so you’re always happy to see somebody like that get rewarded, and that’s him.”

@mwc13_3