UNC women's golf finishes last in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate

Women's golf, Mariana Ocano

Mariana Ocano

The North Carolina women’s golf team finished last in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate on Sunday, its lowest finish in the 2018-2019 season so far.

In a 17 team tournament at Long Cove Club in Hilton Head, S.C. the Tar Heels faced five out of the top-10 teams in the Golfstat poll, and golfed against 22 individual players ranked in the Golfstat top-50.

The Tar Heel golfers for the tournament were Mariana Ocano, Kelly Whaley, Ava Bergner, Brynn Walker and Nicole Lu. Jennifer Zhou also competed as an individual.

After the first round, the team combined for a score of 21-over-par, to sit in 16th place. Bergner shot two-over-par and tied for 28th place on the individual leaderboard after the first round of competition. Zhou shot an even par in the first round and was in 10th place on the individual leaderboard.

In the second round, the Tar Heels shot a combined 15-over-par, which left them with a tournament total of 36-over-par through two rounds. With that, score North Carolina remained in 16th place.

In the third and final round, the Tar Heels faltered some; they shot a combined 23-over-par and finished in seventeenth place on the team leaderboard. No Tar Heels finished in the top-50. 

Zhou stood out as the highest finishing Tar Heel in a five-way tie for 46th place. Though she was competing separately from the rest of her team, she played the best out of any North Carolina golfers on the weekend. 

After she shot an even par in the first round, she placed tenth on the individual leaderboard. Zhou faltered in both the second and third rounds, shooting five and seven-over, respectively, but showed promise hanging around some of the best golfers in the country. 

The contest was decided after the first round, when North Carolina shot a combined 21-over-par, which placed them in 16th place to start the tournament. In the next two rounds, the Tar Heels could not bounce back, remaining in second to last before being passed up by Oklahoma State in the final round. 

North Carolina could not catch up in the tournament after that first round, falling behind after a 23-over performance in the final round. 

The Darius Rucker Intercollegiate was the Tar Heels’ sixth tournament of the season and the team’s lowest finish in the 2018-2019 season so far. North Carolina has two more tournaments this month, the Tar Heel Classic and Bryan National Collegiate, where there will be chances to improve on the performance. 

The Tar Heels will compete next in the Tar Heel Classic in Casa De Campo, Dominican Republic on March 15 and 16.

@TorreNetkovick