Word on the Street: April Fools' Day

EllaCibotti.JPG
First-year Ella Cibotti. Photo by Hockmeyer Studio.

Life as a Tar Heel can be pretty stressful. Watching a basketball game seems to take years off your life, while school work piles up all around you. It’s no wonder that UNC students take April Fools’ Day seriously. What better way to blow off some steam than with a hilarious prank?

Some Tar Heels shared their favorite April Fools’ memories with The Daily Tar Heel.

First-year Joe Benson. Photo by Debra West.

Joe Benson

First-year, undecided, DTH photographer

“My friend made a fake email address and drafted a fake email and sent it to my other friend, saying he had gotten into Harvard.”

Sophomore Lucy Bellamy. Photo by John Herzog.

Lucy Bellamy 

Sophomore, chemistry and English double-major

“My sister and I sewed my little brother’s tighty-whities together, so when he tried to get a pair of underwear, he pulled them all out at once. He thought it was my mom, so he went downstairs and started crying and trying to punch her. He was only 6, though, so it wasn’t like he was actually trying to beat her up.”

Junior Daniel Rios. Photo by P. Smith.

Daniel Rios

Junior, political science major

“My senior year of high school, some of my class decided to ride their bikes, scooters and skateboards to school. We blocked traffic and made people late to school and work.”

Senior Meredith Norman. Photo by Meredith Norman.

Meredith Norman

Senior, history major

“I have a former teacher who recruits his former students, me included, to call a different one of his friends repeatedly every year about a fake ad advertising a cute baby goat for sale.”

First-year Danny Cao. Photo by Lindsey Allison.

Danny Cao

First-year, business major

“In high school, one of my friends ran another guy’s book bag up his school’s flagpole.”

Ella Cibotti

First-year, math major

“One day when I was about 5 or 6, my parents convinced me that they had bought a house, and that I had to pack a bag to stay there overnight. We drove to what I thought was my new house — it had a for sale sign on it — and my parents looked back from the front seat once we pulled into the driveway and said ‘All right kids, go pick your rooms!’ My two brothers and I ran into the house and claimed our favorite places in our new house. It was at that moment that my parents looked at us giggling and screamed ‘April Fools’!’ We were told we were actually moving to New Hampshire.”

Sophomore Alex Walzel. Photo by Stephanie Barnard.

Alex Walzel

Sophomore, biology and psychology double-major

“We used to prop Christmas trees against people’s doors, then ding dong ditch them. I feel really bad about it now.”

Sophomore Kirby Ellis. Photo by Phillip Brunson.

Kirby Ellis

Sophomore, business major

“One time I put powdered sugar all over my brother’s ceiling fan. It went all over his room, and everything just had a light coating of sugar.”

Sophomore Liv Nichols. Photo by Lexi Baird.

Liv Nichols

Sophomore, biology major

“My mom had laundry going, and when I heard the dryer stop, I ran in and put two condoms in the pocket of one of my brother’s pairs of jeans near the top so it would easily fall out when my mom took the jeans out to be folded. My mom goes to get the laundry, and I don’t hear anything for a while. Then she goes to get my brother and goes into a room with him and closes the door. I eavesdropped and hear yelling begin to ensue as my brother keeps claiming that the condoms aren’t his and he doesn’t know where they’re from, he’s telling the truth, and my mom is upset that her son is having sex and she had no clue. Then, he leaves and I hear him from down the hall calling some of his friends and asking if anyone slipped condoms in his pockets the last time they hung out. So, I let this chaos go on and then I go talk to my mom and reveal that I placed the condoms there as a prank. She is relieved and laughs, and then I go tell my brother, and he had the same reaction.”

Sophomore Sam Friedman. Photo by Josh Nelson.

Sam Friedman 

Sophomore, computer science major

“Last year, this girl I was friends with and I put Pop-Its resting under the toilet seat in her suite’s bathroom so they went off when someone sat.”

Sophomore Hailey Wynn. Photo by Hailey Lucas Wynn.

Hailey Wynn 

Sophomore, business major

“My cousin was born on April Fools’ Day, so as a joke, my family told her her birthday was April 2 until she was I think 8 or 9, and then we April Fools-ed her with a birthday dinner on April 1 and she found out then that that was her birthday.”

@caseyquam