Explosive offense propels UNC baseball to 12-4 win over Davidson

baseball-davidson

Junior Ike Freeman (8) bats for the Tar Heels during UNC’s 12-4 win over Davidson on April 10 at Boshamer Stadium. 

As fans entered Boshamer Stadium on Wednesday night, they didn't just see a plethora of dogs in the stands for the annual Bark at the Bosh event. They also witnessed an explosive offensive performance by the No. 19 North Carolina baseball team as it beat Davidson, 12-4. 

This win was extra sweet for the Tar Heels because two years ago the Wildcats beat them twice in Chapel Hill to win the NCAA Regional. 

“It feels good,” catcher Brandon Martorano said. “I think a lot of those guys on the ’17 team remember those feelings that we had on this field two years ago.” 

UNC (25-9, 7-5 ACC) secured the victory after a momentum-shifting pair of innings. Before the third inning, North Carolina did not have a hit and trailed, 1-0. The third and fourth innings saw the Tar Heels score a combined nine runs to take a commanding lead.

To begin the third, pinch hitter Dallas Tessar and second baseman Dylan Enwiller drew back-to-back walks. Before Tessar reached first, only one other UNC baserunner had reached base. Davidson starting pitcher Jaret Lacagnina was quieting the North Carolina offense, before Enwiller came up to the plate with his own approach. 

“Their pitcher was doing a good job of mixing speeds," Enwiller said. “I was just trying to be patient and selective and not get myself out.” 

With two men on base, it did not take long for the UNC offense to score. Two batters, left fielder Michael Busch hit a double to right center field and both Tessar and Enwiller were able to score.  Busch’s double was also the team’s first hit in the contest. 

After Busch, the Tar Heel offense began to find its groove. With one out, shortstop Danny Serretti was hit by a pitch and took first base. Next up was third baseman Ike Freeman, who hit a single to bring in Busch. Before Martorano popped up to center field to end the inning, a passed ball was able to score another UNC run. On only two hits, North Carolina was able to score four runs and regain the lead – a lead it wouldn't give up.

The fourth inning was much like the third, as North Carolina’s offense continued to click. All nine Tar Heels came to the plate and were able to score five more runs on four hits. 

After securing a 9-1 lead after the fourth inning, UNC cruised to the 12-4 victory. UNC’s offensive power caused Davidson to send nine different pitchers to the mound. 

“Were all starting to find out swings, find our groove,” Martorano said. “It took a little bit of time at the beginning of the year, but I think now the weather is starting to warm up, and we are starting to warm up with it. I think it is just a matter of sticking with the process.” 

All told, the Tar Heels scored 12 runs on nine hits and secured nine walks. A total of 12 different Tar Heels stepped up to the plate and only one, Enwiller, had more than one hit in the contest. Eight different batters for North Carolina secured a hit in the contest and six different players drove in a run. 

UNC entered this week coming off a series loss to Georgia Tech, but the team bounced back in a big way. In two mid-week contests, against UNC-Greensboro on Tuesday and then Davidson on Wednesday, the North Carolina offense scored a combined 29 runs. 

This week, Enwiller had five hits and four RBIs, while first-year first baseman Aaron Sabato extended his hitting streak to nine games, the longest current streak on the team. Most importantly, the Tar Heels' offensive showing has added to the team’s morale.

"Hitting is contagious, and it is all about confidence," head coach Mike Fox said. "A lot of our guys are getting in the box feeling pretty good by themselves. That is the key it is as much mental as it is physical.”

@TorreNetkovick