Carrboro Day celebrates the city with poetry, music, food and more

carrboro-day-0424
Carrboro Recreation and Parks is teaming up with West End Poetry Festival to host the Carrboro Day 2019 celebration from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on May 5 at the Town Hall. Photo courtesy of Emma Griffin.

Since it was first settled in 1882, Carrboro has been home to a diverse population. That is why the Carrboro Recreation and Parks Department is teaming up with West End Poetry Festival to host the Carrboro Day 2019 celebration from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on May 5 at the Carrboro Town Commons. 

Carrboro Day is an annual event that pays tribute to the town many call home. Emma Griffin, the recreation supervisor of programs for Carrboro Recreation and Parks, said the event is rooted in community and that most of the planning was completed by a small committee of locals who have volunteered to coordinate the event since December 2018. 

“I’m from Carrboro and have gone to a few of the past Carrboro Day celebrations,” said Meg Atkins, a sophomore UNC student. “It’s always nice to see the community come together and just celebrate the town we live in because it really is a cool place.” 

The event will feature a multitude of attractions including live music — with performances from local bands Chapel Hill School of Rock, The Voices of Faith and Nantahala — food truck vendors, poetry readings, plant pass-along, local nonprofit groups, a bake sale, crafts, and a special dance showcase from El Centro Hispano. 

In addition, West End Poetry Festival is hosting a “Poetry in the Round” event from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. where community members are invited to read their own poetry, share their favorite poems or simply listen and enjoy the sharing of literature. Abigail Browning, a member of the Carrboro Poets Council, said the poetry council is further incorporating poetry into the event by introducing all of the performing bands to the stage with a poem. 

“Carrboro is an artistic community and it cares about bringing together people through lots of different venues and art,” Browning said. “We have the Carrboro film festival, music festivals and the West End Poetry Festival is the poetry part of that. We use poetry as a way to get to know each other and bring everyone together.” 

Browning and Griffin both said Carrboro Day is all about spreading camaraderie in the area and cherishing their home. Carrboro is a diverse, dynamic and unique city and they believe it deserves a moment of recognition. 

“I hope (attendees) just see how great of a place Carrboro is to not only live, but to come and visit, to see the different things we have to do here,” Griffin said. 

@macyxx