Office DJ: Here's where our bottom quotes came from all year

Bailey's headshot

If you read our print product or our daily newsletter, you’ve probably noticed we include a quote on each one. They’re random and aren’t usually meaningful, deep or profound. They’re often just a lyric from a song we’ve been listening to in the office that day. 

But we’ve had fun picking them and showing a little snapshot of what our office vibe was that night. So I’m excited to share with you the playlist our management team has been working on all year – full of the various songs from which we’ve pulled bottom quotes. 

I remember when Rachel, our editor-in-chief, suggested we make this playlist at the beginning of the year. I remember feeling like the day I’d be writing this office DJ, the last night at The Daily Tar Heel, would never come. But here we are and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I’m all at once excited for what’s next, terrified of life after college and deeply sad to be leaving this paper that has given me so much and to which I have given so much of myself. 

You’ll probably notice there’s a variety of music included in this playlist – including songs by Fleetwood Mac (per my choosing), St. Vincent (chosen by Rachel) and Prince (chosen, of course, by Sarah). It’s nothing short of eclectic, and I love that. 

This year has been a rollercoaster of emotions and I think our playlist shows it. There were nights where stress levels were high and we listened to music to calm our nerves. There were nights we felt sentimental that we’re just a few short days away from no longer being UNC students or working at The Daily Tar Heel, and we listened to things like “Carolina in My Mind.” There were nights we were happy or celebrated the end of another long week, and we listened to a lot of Ariana Grande’s new album. 

Anyway, here is our playlist full of music that sums up this wonderfully chaotic, intense year that simultaneously feels like it has gone on forever and that it only began yesterday. I’ll miss helping pick a bottom quote every day, I’ll miss spending so much time (about 50 hours a week to be exact) with all the wonderful people I work with, and I’ll miss putting together this paper that I have become so incredibly proud to be a part of. 

This playlist, although it seems trivial, means a lot to us. I know it will be something I look back on when remembering all the nights spent in the office. I hope you enjoy listening to it, and I hope you’ve enjoyed reading our bottom quotes and the DTH this year.