UNC football players have 'bought in' to the new coaching staff and young talent

Javonte Williams

Running back Javonte Williams (25) celebratesa touchdown against Duke at Wallace Wade Stadium on Nov. 10, 2018.

After a forgettable 2018 football season for North Carolina, new head coach Mack Brown has brought newfound energy to a program in desperate need of a fresh start.

A new regime always brings the difficulty of learning a new system, and often the hardest part is getting players to buy in. However, ahead of the team's spring game on Saturday, the Tar Heels seem to be invested in the new coaching staff and the success the coaches could bring.

“The guys are learning to work like Coach Mack wants us to work, and we bought in very quickly,” running back Antonio Williams said. “Guys were tired of losing, and we know what he had to offer was a winning way. When we were told we could win by just following him, how could you not buy in?”

Along with a new coaching staff, young players at various positions have fellow teammates feeling optimistic. Williams, a rising senior and UNC’s second-leading rusher last season, raved about rising sophomore back Javonte Williams.

“Javonte is a dog,” Antonio Williams, a New London, N.C. native said. “I think he is going to be a ridiculous running back here at Carolina this year and whenever I’m gone.”

Javonte Williams looks to build off a solid first-year campaign that saw him rush for 224 yards and five touchdowns at 5.2 yards per carry. The departure of Jordon Brown brings the opportunity for the former track star to exhibit his blazing speed. Along with, Antonio Williams, and rising junior Michael Carter UNC has a solid group of running backs.

Patrice Rene, a rising senior cornerback, is thrilled with what he’s seen from the young quarterbacks as well. Nathan Elliott’s transfer and Chazz Surratt's position change have left rising sophomores Cade Fortin and Jace Ruder battling highly-touted first-year Sam Howell for the starting job.

“They all look great,” said Rene. “As a DB, sometimes you get a little peek at the quarterback to see if he’s really focused like a man, and all the balls are coming on point and in the right places.”

Rene also said he’s excited about the team's culture change after back-to-back tough seasons.

“Coach Mack has a vision and a great staff, and we bought in," Rene said. "Coach (Dré) Bly is a legend, a GOAT, a Hall of Famer, and to have him as my coach is just a blessing.”

Meanwhile, the Tar Heel linebacker corps faces questions. With leader Cole Holcomb gone, rising senior Dominique Ross is leading the charge for the group.

Though this will be his fourth year in the program, no one is newer to the linebacker position than Surratt. After two years taking snaps at quarterback, Surratt made the surprising move to linebacker and his teammates have been impressed by his play.

“Chazz is a real athletic guy and is out there making plays,” Rene said. 

On the other side of the ball, running backs Antonio and Javonte Williams praised their new practice adversary.

“He surprised me a lot,” Javonte Williams said. “Last year he wasn’t physical, but now he is taking on lineman and hitting people. He made a huge step going to linebacker.”

“Chazz is moving real good, sideline to sideline he can run,” Antonio Williams said. “He’s a smart football player.” 

The rise of several young Tar Heels and a new coaching staff has players and fans excited for what’s to come. Still, there's a lot of work to do, and a long way until the start of the season.  Until the team opens its 2019 campaign against South Carolina on Aug. 31, a competitive spring game could signal a potential turnaround year for the Tar Heels.

@KenjonVander