UNC names new dean of students and associate vice chancellor for student affairs

Old Well

DesirĂ©e Rieckenberg will assume the title of dean of students effective immediately, according to an email from Christi Hurt, interim vice chancellor for student affairs.Rieckenberg was formerly the senior associate dean of students and director of the office of the dean of students. 

Rieckenberg will replace Jonathan Sauls, whose title will change from dean of students to associate vice chancellor for student affairs. Sauls began working at UNC in 2005 as the assistant dean of students and judicial programs officer. 

As associate vice chancellor for student affairs, Sauls will oversee Carolina Housing, the Office of Student Conduct, Student Wellness, New Student and Family Programs and the Office of the Dean of Students. 

As dean of students, Rieckenberg will oversee the leadership and direction of the Office of the Dean of Students portfolio and assume primary responsibility for the Student Affairs Critical Incident Response Team. 

Rieckenberg was a finalist for the associate vice president/dean of students position at the University of Iowa in November of 2018. 

"With these two updates, we aim to provide clarity for our University community and better reflect the duties already being performed by these individuals," Hurt said in the email. 

This announcement follows a number of leadership changes for the 2018-2019 school year, including the retirement of Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Winston Crisp and the resignations of Chancellor Carol Folt and UNC-system President Margaret Spellings.