Letter to the editor: Love thy neighbor

I wholeheartedly believe that we have the right to speak our minds, however, when the content of our beliefs spews only hatred and judgement, there is no place for it on a college campus. Recently, pro-life campaigners have taken to the UNC campus, holding signs of graphic images and yelling words filled with anger and hate.

Luckily, many students feel so passionately that they have been willing to stand in front of the images to ensure that no other students see them, and holding signs that say things like “trigger warning.”  Personally, I believe that as women, we, individually, are the only ones that can make decisions surrounding our bodies. Not other women, and definitely not other men. My beliefs aside, I understand that not everyone is going to agree with me. That’s fine. Every person is entitled to their own beliefs, whatever they may be.  

However, shaming other women for not agreeing with your beliefs is not okay. Doesn’t the Bible say love thy neighbor? I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure that includes all neighbors, regardless of their personal beliefs. If you expect other people to value and respect your opinions, then it is crucial that you do the same. Holding graphic signs and screaming at vulnerable college students that might be experiencing the very thing you are protesting against does not make you a martyr, fighting for your cause, only an ignorant bigot spreading anger and hate.

Grace Louise Murtha