A beginner's guide to surviving LWOC

07 summer on the hill class.jpg
Many Carolina students will spend summer in Chapel Hill taking classes or working, and can spend free time exploring sites off-campus and in nearby cities such as Durham.

I have always wondered why people look forward to the last week of class — also known as LWOC. Every semester, people count down the days, plan parties and dream of nothing but the last day of classes for the semester. 

However, all I can think about are the daunting tasks I have to get done: my two Russian quizzes I have yet to make up, my political science presentation tomorrow and the horrors of packing my up my apartment and driving 17 hours home just to turn back around in three months to move in again. 

There are few things I would not give to close my eyes and wish this week away – just take my finals and have that be the end of it. But I, like everyone else, must face the realities of LWOC. So, for my own sake and yours, I have compiled a list of things to do or use to sail smoothly through the week and limit breakdowns to as few as possible. 

1. Make a schedule 

I cannot stress this enough: We all forget things we need to do, especially when we are so focused on school. Dorms kick you out and parking space rentals end, so make a schedule in Excel, Google Calendar or the back of that homework assignment you never turned in for econ. Just make sure you know what you need to do and when you need to get it done. 

2. Study with a Friend

A lot of people will tell you to study alone because friends are distracting, but we are all in the same boat right now and need to focus. Just like a gym buddy to keep us accountable, a study buddy can do the same thing. Give each other your phones, grab a snack and settle down for a long day or night of focus. 

3. Use campus resources 

While we may all be used to the late-night cram sessions, endless flashcards and overwhelming coffee consumption that is inevitably faced during finals season, there are many places on campus you can turn to for help. 

The Writing Center offers sign ups to study with tools to help students stay focused and get work done. Numerous clubs and organizations also host special events during LWOC, from food in the Pit to petting animals to de-stress.

4. Exercise 

Don't get me wrong, going to the gym and running does not sound like what I want to be doing either, especially during my few and far between study breaks. However, exercise does significantly help with staying focused and alert. If the conventional gym routine is not your cup of tea, take a group class such as zumba or yoga at the Student Recreation Center or go to Battle Park for a quick hike. 

These are only a few of the numerous things you can do on campus to stay focused and driven, so find what works best for you and stick with it. 

Good luck with the last sprint before finals. Study hard but take breaks. You and your sanity will thank me later. 

@abbie_ashford