Orange County Schools superintendent to leave in June

orange-county-school-reassignment

The Orange County Board of Education discusses Board Policy 4125 regarding school assignments and transfers at a meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2019. The policy was presented for a first reading approval with a second reading waiver on Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2019. 

Orange County Schools Superintendent Todd Wirt announced he would step down from his position at the end of June 2019. 

Wirt has been the Orange County Schools superintendent since June 2015 and previously worked at the Wake County Public School System and the Mooresville Graded School District. The North Carolina Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development named him the North Carolina Outstanding Young Education in 2016. 

According to the News & Observer, Wirt sent a letter to Orange County Schools families announcing his resignation Monday night. 

"This was completely my decision and one that we are a peace with as a family," Wirt wrote on his personal Facebook page Tuesday. "After much prayer and guidance, I believe that God has called me out on the water, and I am trusting him for what is next for my career. Our family is great and we are optimistic for what God has next for us. We will not be moving and will continue to be active members of the community."

@RonnieACorrea