I am notoriously forgetful. It is not a great quality for an editor-in-chief to have, but it’s one that I’m stuck with. Over Thanksgiving break, I left my keys in the DTH office; I have lost so many pairs of earbuds over the years that my parents once bought me five pairs for Christmas. I’ve consistently (mostly accidentally) ghosted people since way before ghosting was a thing.

But there are so many things about this year that I know I’ll never forget — things that will join falling in love, coming out, graduating high school, getting into UNC. My first night as editor, I sent the newsroom out when we heard about Silent Sam. For five minutes, we all rushed to the statue to see history be made. I’ll remember that, and every protest that came after. I’ll remember rushing Franklin Street from this office — a VERY short trip — after the first Duke game, revelling in the knowledge that the next Duke Chronicle would be painted Carolina Blue. I’ll remember hundreds, if not thousands, of editing sessions with new writers, who I’ve watched learn AP style and gain confidence in what feels like the blink of an eye. 

I’ll remember watching the Bachelor with Bailey and Sarah, my managing editors, every Monday (except the one when Chancellor Folt resigned). I’ll remember driving to D.C. with María for six hours, seeing Dear Evan Hansen with Anna and sobbing, learning that Molly and Haley also played Dungeons & Dragons. I’ll remember sitting in the office stairwell with Myah, talking about witches with Maddy, playing iMessage 8-ball with Chris, holding a light for Emily and Taryn in a last-minute photo illustration, listening to Misha evangelize for Pub Subs. I’ll remember all of my talks with Erica, our general manager and one of the smartest people I know. I want to cry just thinking about how I won’t do this again on Sunday, the way I have for the past three years.

I am so proud of the work we’ve done this year. I’m responsible for almost none of it — I have been uplifted by the geniuses around me at every turn. This is not to say we have done everything right. I have made so many mistakes this year. I have let my newsroom, my readers, my friends down. But I hope that you and I can remember the good things with the bad. And now, on my last day of class, I remember so many good things. 

The DTH raised me through college. I’ll carry it with me everywhere. And I cannot wait to read this paper next year, see new bylines above excellent work and hope that they remember me.