UNC softball has home winning streak snapped by Florida State, 8-6

DSC_9338.JPG
Junior Campbell Hutcherson, number 5, prepares to catch the ball at the UNC softball match against Liberty University on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at the Anderson Softball Stadium. UNC won 3-2.

The No. 3 Florida State Seminoles (38-5, 10-3) defeated the North Carolina softball team (24-14, 11-5) on Sunday, 8-6, snapping the Tar Heels' five-game winning streak at Anderson Stadium.

After a scoreless two innings, the Seminoles drew first blood. In the top of the third inning, with runners on the corners and two outs, Florida State drove a ball to center field that was just out of reach of senior Kiani Ramsey, giving the Seminoles a 1-0 lead.

In the top of the fourth, Florida State had two singles to put runners on first and second with one out. The next batter drove a ball toward the line in right field, where redshirt sophomore Kristina Burkhardt just missed the ball on a diving attempt. Two runners scored and the next was held at third, then a wild pitch allowed another run to score to put the Seminoles ahead 4-0. 

In the bottom of the fourth, North Carolina responded as Ramsey drew a walk and Megan Dray hit a single. Junior pitcher Brittany Pickett stepped to the plate and proceeded to crush a ball over the fence to cut the Seminoles lead to 4-3.

North Carolina would score again in the bottom of the fifth. Junior Campbell Hutcherson reached base on an error and senior Destiny DeBerry raced down the line for an infield hit. A groundout advanced the runners, and a passed ball tied the game. 

Florida State hit a leadoff home run in the top of the sixth to make it 5-4, and the next two hitters drew four-pitch walks to put runners on first and second with no outs. Before the end of the inning, Florida State knocked in two more runs, making it 7-4 Seminoles.

In the next half inning, Pickett smashed a ball to center field that sailed over the fence to bring North Carolina within two runs. The top of the seventh saw Florida State hit another leadoff home run and extend its lead to 8-5.

With one out and the bases loaded in the seventh inning, senior Berlynne Delamora drew a walk to force in a run, making the game 8-6 with a chance for UNC to take the lead. The Tar Heels were unable to capitalize, however, and the Seminoles held on for the 8-6 win.

Pickett went 2 for 3 with two home runs, four RBI’s, and a walk on the day. Megan Dray also went 1 for 3 and drew a walk.

The Seminoles' three-run sixth inning proved to be the separator, giving them a 7-4 cushion to secure the eventual victory despite a strong effort from the Tar Heels. 

North Carolina played well against Florida State and was able to hang with the reigning NCAA champions as the game remained close until the end. The Tar Heels had an opportunity to win the game in the last inning with the bases loaded, but they did not capitalize. 

After the game, UNC head coach Donna Papa discussed the missed opportunities her team had to win the game, specifically in the game's later stages, 

"We didn’t get that hit that we needed," Papa said. "We had the right people up in the right spots and we didn’t deliver, especially in the seventh."

But Papa also focused on the positives to take from the game.

“The good thing is we put ourselves in a position to win the game in many innings, and it’s just capitalizing on that," Papa said.

North Carolina will play a double header on Monday to wrap up its series against Florida State. Game one will start at 4 p.m., and game two will start at 7 p.m.

@Areynolds_DTH