UNC softball sweeps doubleheader, takes series against No. 3 Florida State

DSC_9249.JPG
Junior Brittany Pickett, number 28, pitches the ball at the UNC softball match against Liberty University on Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at the Anderson Softball Stadium. UNC won 3-2.

The North Carolina softball team (26-14, 13-5 ACC) swept No. 3 Florida State (38-7, 10-5 ACC) in Monday’s double header to take the 3-game series. The Tar Heels had a 6-5 walk-off win in the bottom of the ninth in game one, and a complete game shutout from first-year Hannah George in the second game to earn a 1-0 win.

In the first game, Florida State jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with a home run in the top of the first. In the bottom half of the inning, sophomore Megan Dray singled to drive in senior Kiani Ramsey to tie the game. 

In the third, FSU scored again on two errors by the Tar Heels. North Carolina responded in the bottom of the third with two runs, thanks to a Ramsey double and FSU error, to take a 3-2 lead.

One inning later, the Seminoles tied the game 3-3 on a Tar Heel error. North Carolina responded in the bottom of the fourth when sophomore Zoe Goodman doubled to give the Tar Heels a 4-3 lead. 

Florida State scored another run with an RBI single to tie the game 4-4 in the top of the seventh. When UNC was unable to score in the bottom of the seventh, the game went to extra innings.

In the top of the ninth the Seminoles hit another home run to take a 5-4 lead.

With the game on the line, the Tar Heels responded. North Carolina tied the game with a Brittany Pickett single, and had the bases loaded. Then, senior Berlynne Delamora drove a ball into the gap in left field to upset the No. 3 team in the country, 6-5. 

Game two was a pitcher’s duel, as the score was tied 0-0 until the bottom of the fifth. The Tar Heels hit three singles and scored on a fielder's choice to give themselves a 1-0 lead. UNC would hang on to its slim lead behind George’s dazzling shutout, in which she surrendered just three hits and two walks to take the series against the Seminoles.

In game one Ramsey went 3 for 4 with a double, an RBI, a walk and three runs scored including the winning run. Delamora went 2 for 5 with two singles and drove in the winning run. 

In game two George pitched a complete game shutout against No. 3 FSU, allowing only three hits to mark her ninth victory of the season. 

The first game was forced into extra innings and wasn't decided until Delamora's walk-off single in the ninth. Game two wasn't decided until the Tar Heels scored in the bottom of the fifth, and George shut down the Seminoles to claim victory.

After the two victories UNC head coach Donna Papa discussed her team’s ability to respond to the opposition.

“Every time they did something we answered back," Papa said, "and I think that’s the sign of a team that has great fight in them."

But Papa also discussed the errors, specifically the three in game one, and the team’s ability to look forward.

“You never like to make those kind of errors," Papa said. "But if you can rebound from them then you just keep moving on...we keep moving forward and we don’t look back.”

The Tar Heels will travel to Blacksburg, Va. to face another ACC opponent, Virginia Tech, in a weekend series beginning April 19 at 4 p.m.

@Areynolds_DTH