Behind pitcher Hannah George, UNC softball beats Campbell 7-2

The North Carolina softball team shut out Georgetown 8-0 on Sunday in Chapel Hill.

The UNC softball team started its four-game road trip on the right track by topping the Campbell, 7-2 in Buies Creek, N.C. The win improved UNC’s impressive road record to 7-2, and 27-14 overall. The Tar Heels took advantage of the Camels (19-26), who are 1-6 in their last seven games.

UNC jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning as a result of several critical mistakes from Campbell. A throwing error helped Leah Murray score the first run for the Tar Heels, while a few more miscues by the Camels notched a pair of unearned runs for the visiting team.

The two teams traded blows, with scoreless innings in the second and third before UNC broke through again in the top of the fourth. A single from Abby Settlemyre  allowed Tainasha Vines to tag home and give the Tar Heels the 4-0 lead.

Singles from Megan Dray and Lexi Godwin put the Tar Heels in position for two more runs by the end of the inning.

Redshirt sophomore Kristina Burkhardt busted a triple on the first at-bat of the fifth inning. The hit set up UNC’s seventh and final run when Brittany Pickett flew out to right field.

A triple from Campbell in the sixth put two runs on the board for the home team. UNC quickly closed them out in the bottom of the seventh to take the game, 7-2.

First-year pitcher Hannah George continues to play beyond her years with yet another stellar showing from the mound.

She tied her career-high in strikeouts with six while pitching her seventh complete game. Throwing darts all game, she was the primary reason Campbell could never get anything going offensively.

Dray’s consistency game to game cannot be ignored as she has now reached base in 16 straight games. Murray has also shown an aptitude for getting on base, extending her hitting streak now to a dozen games.

Campbell couldn’t get anything going all day. With cold bats, the Camels had trouble stringing together offense and gave up a majority of their runs to the Tar Heels on errors. 

Down 2-7 at the bottom of the seventh, the Camels needed a miracle. Their four at bats netted a single, strikeout, foul out and a ground ball that quickly made it to first for the game-ending out.

After a big series win against No. 3 Florida State, UNC needed to keep their bats hot headed into another ranked ACC series against No. 21 Virginia Tech.

They did just that. With George playing well, the Tar Heels captured a strong win behind her and is making a run toward the ACC Championship in early May. 

The Tar Heels take to the diamond again when they travel to Blacksburg, Va. to battle the Hokies in a double-header on April 19 at 4 pm. The three-game series will conclude on Saturday the 20th.

@KenjonVander