UNC softball edges UNCW, 3-0, behind timely hitting from Burkhardt and Ramsey

Kiani Ramsey UNC v FSU

UNC senior outfielder Kiani Ramsey (8) watches the ball after a bat during a double header against the FSU Seminoles at G. Anderson Softball Stadium on Monday, April 15, 2019. The Tar Heels beat the Seminoles in both games.

The North Carolina softball team edged out UNCW, 3-0, in Chapel Hill on Tuesday behind timely hitting from sophomore Kristina Burkhardt and senior Kiami Ramsey.

The game started out slowly, with neither team generating a hit until the third inning. The Tar Heels (30-15, 15-6 ACC) did not produce a hit until the fourth.

With the game still scoreless, UNCW (24-24, 6-9 CAA) showed signs of life in the sixth inning, loading the bases. However, first-year picher Hannah George was able to escape the inning.

The Tar Heels set up a scoring opportunity of their own in the sixth, and were finally able to capitalize. After a single and an error placed a runner at third, Burkhardt stepped up to the plate and earned a single, sending two runners home. Ramsey followed that up with an RBI double to extend the lead to 3-0.

After that, the Tar Heels were able to secure three Seahawk outs in the seventh inning to pick up the victory. 

Burkhardt came up huge when her team needed it most. The Tar Heels were struggling to get anything going, manufacturing only one hit through five innings. The game felt like it was going to go to extra innings until Burkhardt gave her team the lead and the win.

“My thought process on that was try not to get too big,” Burkhardt said. “I didn’t want emotions from the crowd, and the umpires and our coaches to get in the way. So I was honestly just like, 'Get the ball in play, try to at least get one run to score,' and luckily two were able to score.”

The sixth inning decided the game for both sides. UNCW had a prime opportunity to put runs on the board, but they failed to take advantage. 

The Tar Heels got three of their four total hits in the sixth inning to earn a hard-fought win in a low-scoring game. 

The Tar Heels were coming off two straight series wins against ranked conference foes. They came into the game against UNCW as clear favorites, as the Seahawks are a .500 team. 

Still, head coach Donna Papa realized that this game was going to tough, especially since it was in the middle of the week. 

“Our conference games are conference games,” Papa said. "The mid-weeks are the toughest ones. I think they are tougher than the conference games... I told them there’s no way that they could overlook any of our mid-week opponents because they are out after us, especially when they are in-state.”

Papa was proud of her team for overcoming their tough start and responding well to a UNCW team that fought hard the entire game. 

“It wasn’t necessarily our prettiest game,” she said. “We played great defense, but we just didn’t string hits together until the end and I guess that’s when it counts.”

Next, UNC takes on UNCG on Wednesday at 6 p.m. before traveling to Louisville over the weekend. 

@ryanheller23