Stabbing reported at Southpoint

southpoint file.png

A loss prevention officer was stabbed on Sunday, March 31, 2019 at Macy's Department Store in Southpoint Mall. 

A loss prevention officer is still in the hospital after a stabbing incident at The Streets at Southpoint shopping mall Sunday afternoon.

The officer was stabbed while confronting two females for shoplifting in Macy’s department store. The suspects have not been apprehended.

“The stolen items included clothing (more than $300 worth). No charges have been filed but investigators are following several leads,” Wil Glenn, the public affairs manager for the Durham Police Department, said in a statement to The Daily Tar Heel.

The incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. Glenn said both suspects fled the scene in a four-door sedan.

Leslie Quijada-Edmonds, a sophomore UNC student, said she frequently shops at Southpoint on her way home from school. Quijada-Edmonds said she still feels safe shopping at Southpoint despite the incident.

“This is generally a really safe area,” she said. “So that occurrence is one in a million. It seems pretty uncommon that that would happen again.”

Glenn encouraged anyone with information about the incident to contact CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.