HBO’s "Veep" is a masterpiece far ahead of its time. Selina Meyer is, technically, a Democrat, but her political views and morals might as well be nonexistent. Meyer could be a Democrat, Republican, Green Party member, whatever. The humor arises not from her beliefs, but from the dysfunction common to politics in general. It’s for this reason that "Veep's" spiritual predecessor "The Thick of It" was able to utilize the same style of humor in its portrayal of both the British liberal and conservative parties. 

"Veep" is especially relevant in today’s divisive political culture when *hot take* pretty much everyone sucks. "Veep" pokes fun at everyone. It’s easy to see hints of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton and scores of other politicians in the characters. "Veep" is by all means a parody, but given the absurdity of U.S. politics as of late, it almost feels real. 

At a time when keeping up with Washington can be incredibly exhausting, "Veep" provides much-needed comedic relief by satirizing U.S. politics as Meyer and her staff navigate her domestic and foreign responsibilities. "Veep’s" brand of dry, vulgar humor appeals to both sides of the political aisle. The characters exchange politically incorrect insults at full speed, their comedic timing impeccable. 

We don’t agree on much (see: Beyoncé, “The Lion King” remake, “The Office,” etc.), but we do agree on this: "Veep" is a strike of television genius that has left a lasting impact on the world of political satire and comedy in general. Liberals and conservatives can rarely find common ground — but "Veep," in all its comedic glory, offers a hint of bipartisanship amidst a deeply polarized political climate. Or, as "Veep" calls it, bipartisan-shit.

has cronies misusing

their ass 

fury

thereby womanish traditionalists 

-rupi kaur¹

the more confusing something

is, the more

art it is

-paige & alec² 

¹Not actually Rupi Kaur

²Actually Paige and Alec