No. 2 UNC women's tennis defeats No. 22 Wake Forest, 7-0, on Senior Day

womens-tennis-duke

UNC women's tennis senior Jessie Aney returns the ball during a singles match against Duke on Wednesday, March 6, 2019. UNC won the match 4-1.

The No. 2 North Carolina women’s tennis closed out its regular season at home against No. 22 Wake Forest and celebrated its Senior Day with a commanding 7-0 victory. 

North Carolina (24-1, 12-0 ACC) has now completed a perfect season at home with its Sunday win against Wake Forest (17-7, 7-5 ACC). 

Seniors Jessie Aney and Chloe Ouellet-Pizer led the team in their last regular season home match as Tar Heels. 

After the seniors' ceremony ended on the court, all three Wake Forest teams were quickly stifled by the unbeaten North Carolina doubles teams.

Captain Ouellet-Pizer assisted in the 25th straight doubles point win for UNC, taking down her opponents easily alongside Makenna Jones, 6-1. 

On Court 1, No. 8 Aney and Alexa Graham muscled over the No. 37 ranked Wake Forest duo.

The two-time All-America doubles player and Graham clinched the doubles point for UNC with a 6-3 win. 

In singles, the Tar Heels didn’t drop a single match. 

First-year Cameron Morra was the first to add singles points for UNC on Court 4 with dominating 6-1, 6-0 win. Ouellet-Pizer followed moments behind Morra with a strong performance to increase the Tar Heel lead to 3-0, winning both sets, 6-2. 

In what has become routine at this point in the season, No. 6 Graham won her match on Court 2 and earned the clinching point for North Carolina.

Aney, whose 122 career victories place her fourth all-time in program history, put another one under her belt on Court 5. 

After dropping the first set, 6-2, Aney came back to curb Chandler Carter in her 6-1 second-set win. 

In the deciding set, Aney put any struggles she had behind her with another 6-1 win, one that got the afternoon crowd on its feet for the last home win for the senior. 

Ouellet-Pizer’s superb performance in doubles and singles was the cherry on top of an outstanding four-year run, one that contributed to the most successful four-year stretch in program history. 

The senior and Chapel Hill native walked off her home court with her 102nd career singles victory on senior day, 10th in program’s history.

Several close sets were decided in the Tar Heel’s favor, and their ability to outwill any team has shown time and time again.

After Wake Forest’s Anna Ulyashchenko pushed to tie it at five in the second set against Graham, the fiery junior was able to outlast her opponent with a 7-5 second-set win that moved UNC to 4-0 on the board.

On Court 3, No. 12 Sara Daavettila got out ahead of the tiebreaker in the first set, and controlled the second set all the way through in a dominating 6-1 second-set win.

No. 7 Jones also had brief struggles in her first set against No. 33 Emma Davis, but managed to tie it up at six looking for the tiebreaker point. Jones found her groove and got the winning point, before taking the second set, 6-2.

North Carolina was at its typical best from the first serve. 

“You can’t write a better script than that,” head coach Brian Kalbas said. “It was a team victory, 7-0, which is great, but it’s all about the seniors and recognizing them and understanding how important they’ve been.” 

With no hesitation, the team collectively contributed to the 15th straight win for UNC. 

The win over Wake Forest preserves UNC at the top of the ACC and moves the team to 12 ACC wins without any losses. 

It also means they only have two more matches to play before the ACC Championship. 

Women's tennis is on the road at Georgia Tech on Friday at 3 p.m. to battle for its 25th win of the season. 

@jillianfellows2