WXYC dance gives Tar Heels the opportunity to 'take it back now y’all'

WXYC '80s Dance

WXYC is hosting a dance to celebrate the music of the 1980s. Photo courtesy of Ashley Choo-Hen. 

It doesn’t take a time machine to party with the best music of the last five decades. All people need to do is attend the WXYC Thru the Decades Dance at Cat’s Cradle on Saturday.

The dance is hosted by WXYC, UNC's  nationally recognized student-run radio station, and it will have free admission.

Student DJs will split the night up into five different sets, each focusing on a different decade, starting with the '70s and then progressing to the '80s, '90s, 2000s and 2010s.

“We were like, why don’t we do the best of all worlds, and just do multiple decades and have a fun time travel aspect of it with multiple sets going consecutively through each decade,” said Brennan Colucci, promotions director for WXYC.

Previous WXYC dances in the past have been focused around a specific decade or theme, but the Thru The Decades Dance offers the opportunity to play a wide variety of music, from disco to Snoop Dogg.

Junior Ashley Choo-Hen is the student DJ who will be leading the night off with a '70s themed set. She said she'll be spinning dad-approved tracks from artists like Donna Summers, Dolly Parton, the Bee Gees and Steely Dan.

“I’m really glad to be playing a lot of disco," she said.

Senior Nick Cirone’s set will focus on the '90s.

“I feel like for the most part we're all going to be trying to pick music that will make sure everyone there is having fun,” Cirone said. “... It’s not like a big grand show, it’s more like a party atmosphere which I think is pretty cool.”

Attendees are highly encouraged by WXYC and Choo-Hen to dress as their favorite decade.

“I think this dance is going to be one of a kind,” Choo-Hen said. “First of all, because we’re at this point that I think a lot of people don’t realize, that we’re ending the 2010s and we’re about to head into 2020, which is the start of a new decade — so I think this dance will culminate to the 2010s where people will reflect on what this decade has been like and what music has stood out.”

The Thru the Decades Dance might give the opportunity for stressed Tar Heels to have fun during the last month of classes, Colucci said. 

“It’s just one of those things in life that can always bring joy and comfort to people," Colucci said. “It’s a chance to kind of lose yourself from the final month of school and to kind of ignore whatever stress or worry you may have being with friends and dancing to good music.” 

@aaronjsugarman