UNC baseball sneaks by Virginia in ACC Tournament thanks to walk-off hit-by-pitch

Baseball celebration
First-year Danny Serretti (1) celebrates a home run during the Tar Heels' third baseball game against Boston College on Easter weekend, 2019.

The North Carolina baseball team (39-17, 17-13 ACC) used a tenth inning walk to defeat Virginia (32-23, 14-16 ACC) 3-2 in the team's ACC Tournament opener on Wednesday. With the bases loaded, first-year Caleb Roberts was hit by a pitch that sent pinch runner Angel Zarate home to score, giving the Tar Heels the walk-off win.

Much of the day was a pitcher's duel, as UNC ace Tyler Baum pitched 7.1 innings and gave up just two runs and five hits. North Carolina drew first blood thanks to an RBI single from junior Ike Freeman in the fourth inning, then went up 2-0 after an RBI double from first-year Danny Serretti in the sixth inning. 

Baum gave up his first run in the seventh when a solo home run from Virginia's Nate Eikhoff halved the UNC lead. An inning later, the Cavaliers tied the game with an RBI single, and junior Joey Lancellotti came in to relieve Baum. 

To state the obvious, runs were hard to come by throughout the day, and it took an extra inning for the Tar Heels to separate themselves. 

In the tenth, three straight walks gave Roberts a chance to be the hero, with the bases loaded and one out. 

No heroics would be needed, however. With an 0-1 count, Roberts was hit by a pitch from Virginia's Devin Ortiz, sending Zarate home to score from third and giving the Tar Heels the win.

Baum was dominant on the mound, striking out six Cavaliers and holding Virginia scoreless in his first six innings of the day. Lancellotti was also instrumental in relieving Baum and not allowing any runs, propelling the Tar Heels to extra innings to steal the win.

Serretti and Freeman both punched in RBIs to manufacture North Carolina runs, and were also the only Tar Heels to record multi-hit games.

With the bases loaded and one out, North Carolina had a chance to win the game on a dramatic walk-off, but Roberts' hit-by-pitch walk was all the Tar Heels needed to win.

Baum's 7.1 innings thrown were the most by a UNC pitcher in an ACC Tournament game since Kent Emanuel's eight scoreless innings against Miami in 2013. Wednesday was the also first ACC Tournament game to go to extra innings since an 18-inning marathon between UNC and NC State in 2013.

With the win, the Tar Heels have started out 1-0 in group play of the conference tournament.

Next, North Carolina will face Miami on Friday at 3 p.m. in its second game of the ACC Tournament. The winner of that game will advance to Saturday's semifinal matchup against Boston College.

@ryantwilcox