Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Tar Heel bullpen shines in UNC baseball's win over Virginia

Danny Serretti Duke
First-year shortstop/second baseman Danny Serretti (1) swings against Duke on Friday, March 29, 2019 at Boshamer Stadium. UNC defeated Duke 1-0.

On a hot Sunday at Boshamer Stadium, the bullpen of the No. 11 North Carolina baseball team shined, propelling the team to a 5-4 victory over Virginia to win the three-game series.

With the game tied, 1-1, in the fourth inning and two men on base, North Carolina pitcher Andrew Grogan burst out of the bullpen and ran to the pitcher’s mound. In that moment, he had one thing on his mind. 

“Don’t give up runs. That’s it,” Grogan said. “Just throw the ball over the plate, and execute. Don’t give up runs.” 

Grogan was able to get out of the jam, but not before a Virginia run. A sacrifice fly gave Virginia the lead, 2-1.

After that inning, however, Grogan found his groove and was able to quiet the Virginia offense. The first Virginia hit off of Grogan did not come until the top of the seventh inning. By the time he was taken out, he pitched 4.1 innings, gave up three hits, threw four strikeouts, and allowed zero earned runs. More importantly, his pitching was enough for his team to nab the 5-4 win.

“My fastball command is what really helped," Grogan said. "I had the change up going, and the slider. Pretty much everything was working well."

With the win, Grogan now sits at 4-1 on the season with a 3.38 ERA. In Grogan’s last two outings, he has pitched a combined 12 innings, allowing just eight hits and one earned run.

“The last two times, I mean, that's what we saw from him in the fall,” head coach Mike Fox said.

In addition to Grogan, the North Carolina bullpen as a whole was successful over the weekend. In the three-game series against Virginia, nine pitchers came out of the bullpen for the Tar Heels, and they pitched a combined 16 innings and gave up twelve earned runs. 

“Our bullpen has been good,” Fox said. “It’s had to have been good, because our starting pitching hasn’t been great. So I am glad we have one or the other right now.” 

While Grogan was successful on the mound, the North Carolina offense found its groove at the plate on Sunday as well. The Tar Heels outhit the Cavaliers, 11-10, and four different Tar Heels had a multi-hit game.

While junior Ike Freeman recorded one hit in the previous two games of the series, he led the team in hits on Sunday with three. He credited the improvement to a shift in mentality.

“Try to slow everything down,” Freeman said. “I think lately I’ve been kind of getting in there all amped up, and I tried to do the complete opposite.” 

With just two ACC series left in the season, North Carolina is currently tied with Georgia Tech atop the ACC Coastal Division. After dropping the first game against the Cavaliers, the Tar Heels rebounded to win the next two to take the series.

“Every series in this league is important,” Fox said. “We have had to do this a couple times in the league, and rebound from a loss on Friday. It says a lot about our team, and their toughness and resiliency. We talk about taking pride in being able to flush things pretty quickly in this game, and let go from pitch to pitch, and inning to inning, and certainly game to game. 

"It is easier said than done.”

@TorreNetkovick