Mark Gangloff named new head coach of UNC swimming and diving teams

Swim Dive Duke
Noah Cairns competes in the 200 yard butterfly event during the home swim and dive meet vs. Duke in Koury Natatorium on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019.

Mark Gangloff has been named the new head coach of North Carolina's swimming and diving teams, the UNC athletic department announced Thursday. Gangloff spent the last seven seasons with Missouri, including the last two as an associate head coach.

“Mark Gangloff is greatly respected in international and collegiate swimming and diving and has a passion for coaching and developing student-athletes,” athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement. “His swimmers have demonstrated improvement and success, and he is known for his ability to relate with and motivate student-athletes."

The announcement came two months after former head coach Rich DeSelm stepped down due to health concerns, citing a "cancer-related mass" that required surgery.

Gangloff, a two-time Olympic gold medalist in 2004 and 2008, helped the Tigers post back-to-back top-10 NCAA results in 2016 and 2017. In the statement, Gangloff expressed gratitude toward both Cunningham and past members of the program, and said he looks forward to "honoring them through my work."

"Building on recent individual successes and a rich history of program excellence, I can’t wait to lead UNC swimming and diving to new heights," Gangloff said. "The culture of academic and athletic excellence at the University of North Carolina is second to none. I am excited to work with current and future Tar Heel swimmers and divers to achieve their academic and athletic dreams."

@ryantwilcox