UNC men's golf ties for second in NCAA regional, advances to championship round

Ryan Burnett

UNC men's golf first-year Ryan Burnett follows through on a shot at Finley golf course on Sept. 5. Photo courtesy of UNC athletic department.

Led by Ryan Burnett's record-breaking 63, the North Carolina men's golf team tied for second in the 2019 NCAA Stanford Regional on Wednesday, and advanced to the NCAA Championship in Fayetteville, Ark.

On the first day of the three-day event, the Tar Heels shot an even-par 280. First-year Dougie Ergood and senior Joshua Martin posted a 4-under-par 66 and a 2-under-par 68, respectively, to put North Carolina in fourth place entering Tuesday.

The Tar Heels then improved on their first-day score by posting a 5-under-par 275, vaulting them into a second-place tie thanks to the efforts of junior Austin Hitt, who shot a 68, and Burnett, who shot a 67 highlighted by an eagle and seven birdies.

In the third round, Burnett played his best when it mattered most. On the last day of the event, he posted a 63, the lowest round ever by a Tar Heel in an NCAA regional, to help his team remain in a tie for second place and advance to the NCAA Championship for the third straight season. On Wednesday, North Carolina shot a 6-under-par 274, tied for the second-best score in the regional's final round. 

The Stanford Cardinals, playing on their home course, won the event with a blistering 23-under-par, while the Tar Heels' 11-under-par 829 was tied for second with Arizona State.

Burnett, a first-year, starred for the Tar Heels, posting a 7-under-par over three days which was good enough to tie for the second-best individual score. Burnett improved his score in every round, following up a 73 on Monday with a 67 on Tuesday and a record-breaking 63 on Wednesday.

He edged out Max Harris' 64 in 1998 for the best round by a Tar Heel in a regional. Burnett's 63 was also the lowest round by any player in the regional, and his lowest round of the season. 

Josh Martin posted a steady 1-under-par for North Carolina over three days, tied for 12th among individuals, while Dougie Ergood's 3-over-par tied for 27th.

Though the Cardinals ran away with the event, winning by a comfortable 12 strokes, the Tar Heels remained neck-and-neck with Arizona State throughout, and were tied with the Sun Devils after the second day of the regional, where they would remain at the event's end.

The Tar Heels' second-place effort was tied for the best finish in an NCAA regional in program history, matching finishes in 1993 and 1995. 

North Carolina will be one of six ACC teams to compete in the 30-team NCAA Championship, along with Clemson, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Wake Forest.

The Tar Heels will be on the championship hunt beginning May 24 in Fayetteville, Ark., running for six days until May 29.

@ryantwilcox