UNC men's tennis has several deep runs in NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships

William Blumberg Virginia ACC
Junior William Blumberg prepares to forehand tennis ball at the ACC tournament semifinals. UNC played against Virginia and lost 3-4. Blumberg won his doubles match with senior Blaine Boyden and lost his singles match.

This past week members of the North Carolina women’s and men’s tennis teams traveled to the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Florida, and competed in the NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships.  

Three members of the men’s team competed. Junior William Blumberg made it to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Singles Championship, while sophomore Benjamin Sigouin fell in the round of 16 and the duo of Blumberg and senior Blaine Boyden won in the first round of the doubles tournament before losing in the round of 16.

No. 19 William Blumberg

Blumberg is not new to the big stage – the junior competed in the NCAA Singles Championship in his first two years as a Tar Heel. In 2018, Blumberg reached the quarterfinals of the competition, and as a first-year, he finished as the NCAA runner-up.  

On Monday, Blumberg opened play against Texas’ Harrison Scott.  In this match, Blumberg got off to a fast start and never stopped. He beat Scott in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3, to advance to the next round.  

In the round of 32, Blumberg faced Baylor’s Matias Soto. Much like in his first match, Blumberg impressed and won in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. With the win, Blumberg advanced to the round of 16, where he faced No. 9 Oliver Crawford from Florida.  

Although he was set to face an opponent ranked higher than him, Blumberg was unfazed, overcoming Crawford for a 6-4, 6-2 victory. With the win, Blumberg became the first Tar Heel in North Carolina men’s tennis history to reach the NCAA Men’s Tennis Singles Championship quarterfinals three times. 

In the next round, however, Blumberg’s impressive run came to an end. He lost to No. 4 Alex Rubakov of TCU in three sets, 4-6, 6-3, 2-6. 

No. 39 Benjamin Sigouin

In the first round, Sigouin upset No. 15 Albeto Barroso-Campos in three sets. After Sigouin won the first set, 6-2, Campos bounced back to won the second set, 6-4. Still, Sigouin kept his composure and won the third set by a score of 6-2 to secure the win.  

Sigouin advanced to the round of 32 and earned a match against Ohio State’s Kyle Seelig which was again closely contested. After Sigouin won the first set, 6-3, Seelig propelled to victory in the second set, 6-4. With the match on the line, Sigouin rose to the occasion and defeated Seelig in the third set, 6-4.

Sigouin advanced to the third round, but the result was not in his favor.  South Carolina’s No. 5 Paul Jubb was able to win in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, to end Sigouin's run.

No. 13 Blumberg/Boyden

In the first round, the 13th ranked duo of Blumberg and Boyden took the court against No. 7 Cameron Klinger and Billy Rowe from Vanderbilt.  Although Klinger and Rowe were the higher ranked duo, Blumberg and Boyden battled on the court and were able to complete the upset in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.  

After advancing to the round of 16, however, Blumberg and Boyden fell to Alabama’s No. 11 pairing of Patrick Kaukovalta and Mazen Osama, 7-5, 6-2.  

Though both the men's and women's tennis teams fell in the semifinals of their respective NCAA Team Championships, their seasons have not been without highlights, as evidenced by the impressive runs of Blumberg, Boyden, and Sigouin.

@TorreNetkovick