Orange County teacher resigns, charged after making threats to "shoot up the school"

0.png

Kristen Thompson, a teacher at Pathways Elementary School who was charged with threatening mass violence by the Orange County Sheriff’s Office. Thompson reportedly threatened to "shoot up the school" and was reported by her fellow coworkers. 

An Orange County elementary school teacher is facing a felony charge following allegations that she made threats to “shoot up the school,” according to an Orange County Sheriff’s Office press release. 

Kristen Thompson abruptly resigned from her position at Pathways Elementary School on Friday, May 17 the release said. Other teachers reported Thompson’s threats.

The Orange County Sheriff’s office charged Thompson with communicating a threat of mass violence. A member of the Durham County Sheriff’s Office took Thompson into custody on Tuesday, according to the release. 

Thompson received a $1,000 secured bond. She is due in court on June 14. 

“A threat of school violence is understandably unsettling for the community,” Orange County Sheriff Charles Blackwood said in the release. “Please know that the school and law enforcement are working together as a team to ensure the last few weeks of the school year are safe and productive for our students.”

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Orange County Sheriff’s Office at 919-245-2900.