Column: The things I wish my younger self knew in Chapel Hill

Over the past few months, it’s been impossible not to think back on all the things I wish my younger self knew. Here’s my personal guide to thriving in Chapel Hill. 

Where to get a haircut

Moving away from home as an 18-year-old is one thing. Moving away from home as an 18-year-old and losing your barber is a mentally straining dilemma many of my peers cannot relate to. I spent the better part of my first year of college struggling to find a barber to get in sync with. In fact, it took me so long to find someone I liked that I just decided “screw it” for a while. Hopefully, those that follow me won’t have to go through that. 

If you’re still looking for a barber, I suggest you make these spots first on your list.

Who’s Next barber shop is generally the first stop for most young Black men on campus. They’re the closest to campus and do an alright job. Don’t waste your time going on a Friday or Saturday without an appointment lined up or you’ll be waiting all day. I go during the week when I have time to save on the cost of making an appointment. 

Midway Barber Shop in Carrboro doesn’t have all the thrills Who’s Next has, but it’s got virtually no waiting time. The longest I’ve ever waited for a chair was around 30 minutes on a Saturday, and you can’t beat that. I’d say the barbers are on par, as well. The downside is the further walk students without cars would have to make. I generally like the old-school vibe. It reminds me of when I was a kid: no TVs, no thrills, just barber shop talk with the old heads. 

Meal Deals

If there is one thing students coming to Carolina find out quickly, it's that food pricing is outrageous. If you’ve ever been around campus when the dining halls are closed, you know the hit your wallet takes. Here are some places where you can lessen the blow.

At Terrace Café, located on the first floor of the UNC Children’s Hospital, you’ll find meal deals available from 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. When it’s the end of the semester and meal swipes are running low, make the trip over. You can get two chicken thighs and two sides for under $5. 

Benny Cappella’s pizza might be the cheapest and most filling place you can find on Franklin Street. For $4, you’ll get a giant slice of cheese pizza, and if you’re willing to spend the extra buck, you can add some pepperoni on top. 

Now if you’ve got a little bit more money to spend and are trying to stretch some meals, you can’t go wrong with Jade Palace in Carrboro. The portion sizes are generous, so you’ll easily get two meals out of one trip. When I’m trying to make meals stretch, I go with their egg foo young. I’ve successfully stretched that into three different meals and didn’t have to sacrifice my hunger during any of them.

Study Spots 

Davis Library and the Undergraduate Library (UL) are great... well... that is until it's finals season and everyone who never goes to the library to study decides now is the time to make an appearance. In that case, your usual study spots in both places are probably taken. Here are a few more backups. 

The Starbucks at the hospital is located between the neuroscience and cancer wings. Here you’ll find coffee that’s actually worth swallowing and an upstairs area where you can study 24/7. 

If it’s before 5 p.m. you have to give the Music Library (located in Wilson Library) and the Art Library (located in Hanes Art Center) both have some interesting vibes. These are definitely two 'change of pace' areas to seek out when you’re getting tired of your usual spot. 

This last gem I was just recently told about: Chapel Hill Public Library. Now, the hard part will be finding a way to get there if you don’t have a car. But once you make it, you’ll get to enjoy the wilderness vibe. The first floor offers a big glass room that looks out into the woods providing all the mellow you need to be productive. Pro tip: get there when they open or you’ll find yourself spending more time looking for a seat than getting things done. 

@jsimp42