UNC fall sports preview 2019: Field hockey, volleyball and swimming and diving

Destiny Cox celebration volleyball vs fsu
First-year outside hitter Destiny Cox (1) prepares to strike the ball during the Wednesday, Nov. 21, 2018 game against FSU. UNC lost the game 3-0.

In a matter of months, new students will step on campus and several North Carolina sports teams will begin their seasons. Here are some of teams that will be in action this fall and what to expect from them.

Field Hockey

Last season: The UNC field hockey team finished the 2018 season with a perfect 23-0 record, capturing an ACC Championship and a seventh national championship with a 2-0 win over Maryland. 

What to expect:  The Tar Heels will look to repeat as national champions. In 2018, UNC scored a total of 103 goals, while they limited opponents to just 16 throughout the season. Although five seniors graduated in 2019, the team hopes to fill that void and continue its dominance. 

Key returners: ACC Offensive Player of the Year and ACC Freshman of the Year Erin Matson will return for her sophomore season.  Last season, Matson was a key member of the North Carolina offense.  She started all 23 games for North Carolina, leading the team in goals with 20 and assists with 19. 

Where to watch:  The field hockey team plays its home games in Karen Shelton Stadium on South Campus.

Volleyball

Last season:  The North Carolina volleyball team finished 8-19 last season and 4-14 in conference play. The 2018 squad featured seven first-years and four transfer students who all played their first season in a Tar Heel uniform.  

What to expect: With a still young roster, North Carolina will look to bounce back from last year and replicate the 2016 season, their last winning season, in which the Tar Heels went 29-4.

Key returners:  In 2019, fans will be excited to see Mia Fradenburg return to the court for the Tar Heels. In Frandenburg’s junior season she led the team in digs with 359 and service aces with 19. Sophomore Destiny Cox also returns to the court for UNC this fall after leading the team in kills with 290. Right behind Cox was Skylar Wine, who had 233 kills in her first season as a Tar Heel after transferring from Pacific. 

Where to watch:  The volleyball team plays its home matches in Carmichael Arena, which is located next to Hooker Fields on South Road.  

Swimming and diving

Last season: The North Carolina women’s swimming and diving team sent seven swimmers and one diver to compete in the NCAA Championship, while the men’s team sent Bryan Allen, a diver, to compete in the championship.

What to expect: After former head coach Rich DeSelm stepped down due to health issues, Mark Gangloff, a two time Olympic gold medalist, was named the head coach for UNC's swimming and diving teams. The Tar Heels, with key returners, look to meet again with opponents for an NCAA Championship. 

Key returners:  Allen will return for the Tar Heels on the diving board after he earned honorable mention All-America honors in platform diving at the NCAA Championship. Emily Grund, who advanced to the NCAA Championship, will also return on the diving board for North Carolina. Key returners in the pool for North Carolina will be Brooke Bauer, Caroline Hauder and Grace Countie, all of which were members of the 200-yard freestyle relay that earned honorable mention All-America honors at the NCAA Championship.  

Where to watch:  The Tar Heels swim at Koury Natatorium, which is located next to the Smith Center. 

@TorreNetkovick