Column: Register to run for your local government

marin headshot
UNC sophomore Marin Wolf is city editor during summer 2019.

The OC Voice is a portion of the OC Report newsletter where local residents may have a platform to talk about local issues they care about. 

I’ve spent a lot of hours at local government meetings. Most people would think that’s a horribly boring way for me to occupy my evenings, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. 

So many people enter Town Hall, the Lincoln Center, the Southern Human Services Center on weeknights, all for a variety of reasons. Maybe it’s to be honored for winning a high school state championship, or maybe it’s to speak about a policy that’s to be voted on. I’ve watched second graders read letters begging town officials to help them protect their homes, and I’ve watched Town Council members cry as they listened. 

One of my favorite parts of this county is how involved its residents are in local government. They write letters, they speak up, they show up week after week and fight for what they believe. It’s inspiring, and it’s the only way Orange County will continue to become a more inclusive place. 

So, why am I telling you what you already know about our home? 

If you are considering running for Mayor of Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough or Mebane; Chapel Hill Town Council; Carrboro Board of Aldermen; Hillsborough Board of Commissioners; Mebane City Council or Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education, now is your time to act.

The filing period to run for local office opens at noon this Friday, July 5, and it closes just two weeks later at noon on Friday, June 19. You have to register with the Orange County Board of Elections office in Hillsborough

While the process may seem a bit overwhelming, especially if you are a first time candidate, there are staff members at the Orange County Board of Elections that will guide you through the process. 

Several people have already announced their intentions to run for a municipal office, but it's certainly not too late to announce yours. 

If you live in Orange County and want to make your voice heard on something you care about locally, email city@dailytarheel.com.