Hops Burger Bar on Franklin Street is closed for good

Hops Burger Bar

Hops Burger Bar closed down July 3 after the owner determined the location was no longer working for the North Carolina franchise.

Hops Burger Bar has closed its Chapel Hill location for good. 

The restaurant's last day of business was July 3, closing down for the July Fourth holiday, and it has remained closed ever since. 

When contacted on July 3 by The Daily Tar Heel, co-owner Chris Martin said he was not sure what the long term plan for the location would be, but more information would be coming in the following days. Following the holiday-weekend closure, Martin could not be contacted for comment by The Daily Tar Heel. 

According to the News & Observer, the Chapel Hill location of Hops did not meet the company's brand standards. 

Hops opened its 140 W. Franklin St. location back in 2017, where it grew in popularity. Lack of business wasn't the reason for closing, Martin said to the News & Observer, it was the distance between Chapel Hill and the company's home location in Greensboro. 

Employees were informed on June 24 that the restaurant would be closing soon, although confusion remained among the staff about the exact date. In a group message comprised of the Hops staff, one of the managers stated they had been informed that July 3 would definitively be the last day the business was in operation. 

@bg_keyes