UNC football lands transfer defensive back Kyler McMichael

Mack Brown spring game
UNC football coach Mack Brown observes his team during the Spring Football Game on April 13, 2019 in Kenan Stadium. The Carolina team defeated the Tar Heel team 25-10.

Former Clemson defensive back Kyler McMichael has committed to North Carolina for the upcoming football season after spending under a day in the transfer portal. 

McMichael announced his commitment on Saturday afternoon via Twitter. He was listed as the backup to Clemson's A.J. Terrell on the school's depth chart.

The 6-foot, 200-pound cornerback appeared in 12 games as a first-year for the Tigers in 2018, taking 101 snaps and totaling two tackles in his short Clemson career. McMichael was a four-star recruit and the No. 56 player in the nation coming out of high school and was the No. 8 cornerback and the No. 8 prospect from the state of Georgia. 

McMichael is the third defensive back to transfer to UNC, along with 2019 Auburn recruit Cam’Ron Kelly and Bryce Watts from Virginia Tech. 

All three will likely have to sit out the year due to the NCAA's transfer policies, but Kelly has applied for a waiver after his transfer came in the wake of a family illness. After losing four players in the secondary this past offseason, the players will provide depth at the cornerback position in UNC's future.

Cornerback K.J. Sails transferred to the University of South Florida, C.J. Cotman medically retired, Bryson Richardson is out for the season after tearing his Achilles during spring training and Corey Bell switched positions to wide receiver. 

Before playing for Clemson, McMichael starred at Greater Atlanta Christian School in Norcross, Georgia, along with current UNC defensive back Trey Morrison. 

@bg_keyes