Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen is beginning the process of renovating its building following a fire that caused significant damage to the restaurant’s electrical circuits.
Owner David Allen said he hopes to reopen the Chapel Hill staple on Friday, July 19, if everything goes to plan. He said he is waiting on final permits from the town.
The entire building has to be rewired because of the electrical surge that is believed to have caused the fire. Allen said he expects the renovation to cost between $70,000 and $80,000, though much of it will be covered by insurance.
“The most bothersome thing is just being closed,” he said.
The Sunrise employees are still getting paid, even though the restaurant is expected to lose almost a month of business.
“They have bills to pay,” Allen said. “So I promised them. I made that phone call the same day of the fire. I let them all know not to worry, that they’re getting paychecks.”
Allen and his employees are eager to get back open. In the meantime, Allen said he appreciates the support he’s received from customers and the community.
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.