UNC women's basketball releases non-conference schedule for 2019-20

Courtney Banghart hired Bubba Cunningham
Courtney Banghart who was hired in April as the new women's basketball head coach, will lead the Tar Heels during the upcoming 2019-2020 season.

In 2019-20, the North Carolina women's basketball team will host seven games, including the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, and face four in-state opponents as part of its non-conference schedule, the athletic department announced Thursday.

Three Power Five foes – Missouri, Illinois and Alabama – will come to Chapel Hill next season, while four teams from the state – Western Carolina, Elon, N.C. Central and UNCW – will face the Tar Heels under new head coach Courtney Banghart.

North Carolina will begin the season with four straight home games: Western Carolina on Nov. 7, Navy on Nov. 11, Charleston Southern on Nov. 15 and Elon on Nov. 22.

From there, the Tar Heels will travel to Mexico for the Cancun Challenge, where they will play Temple on Nov. 28 and Missouri on Nov. 29.

Later, North Carolina returns home to host Illinois in the 2019 ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Dec. 5. The Tar Heels will then conclude 2019 in Chapel Hill, taking on Yale on Dec. 28.

The team's only true non-conference road game will come on Dec. 15 at Alabama.

Season tickets are now on sale for the 2019-20 campaign, starting at $25 per ticket.

Last season, the Tar Heels went 18-15 and lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament before head coach Sylvia Hatchell resigned on April 19 following an investigation into alleged racist remarks. Banghart, former Princeton head coach, was hired on April 30.

@ryantwilcox