Tuesday October 19th

All Up in Your Business: Old and new favorites join food scene in Chapel Hill

Deli Edison, soon to open in Chapel Hill, will serve handmade bagels every day. Photo courtesy of Dan Obusan.
Buy Photos Deli Edison, soon to open in Chapel Hill, will serve handmade bagels every day. Photo courtesy of Dan Obusan.

Residents in Chapel Hill can be on the lookout for two new eateries opening soon. Living Kitchen, a plant-based restaurant, will bring a vegan-friendly menu to the area, and Deli Edison will serve everything from bagels to New York style pizza.

Living Kitchen

Marketing coordinator Alan Huck said the owners of Living Kitchen are coming back to the same location with a fresh approach compared to the last time, when the same restaurant closed last year.

“Rather than a larger restaurant with a very extensive menu, it’s more of a café with a smaller menu and we’re putting a lot more emphasis on the coffee program,” Huck said.

The restaurant will serve plant-based, vegan food along with specialty coffee made using coffee beans from Counter Culture, which is based in Durham. Living Kitchen’s menu will feature some normal menu items like all-day breakfast, burgers, salads and bowls, which are meant to pair nicely with the coffee. 

However, the recipes are different, featuring "inventive" spins on what you might normally see at a typical café, Huck said.

He mentioned a barbecue burger made from oyster mushrooms and coleslaw made from pears. Condiments will be plant-based, as well, such as the sour cream, which Living Kitchen makes from cashews.

“I feel like it’s difficult to find good food and good coffee in one space and especially plant-based food or really well-presented healthy food, as well,” Huck said. “We’re trying to bring those things together.”

The idea of reopening a restaurant at this location became a reality for the owners because the timing felt right, he said.

“We kind of just decided that things were changing in that immediate area, so it felt like a good time to try something new as well," Huck said.

The restaurant will be located at 201 S. Elliot Rd. and is set to open in the next couple of days.  

Deli Edison

For people who aren't necessarily interested in a plant-based meal, Deli Edison is also coming to Chapel Hill.

“We bought the bagel bar in June and we are converting it to a deli concept,” said owner Dan Obusan about the recent purchase of the Chapel Hill location. 

The restaurant is going to have traditional bagel spreads and seven different types of bagels, and they'll soon provide coffee in partnership with Carrboro Coffee Roasters.

Obusan said the restaurant will eventually be serving New York style pizzas, which will be rectangular slices, and customers can order the pizzas by weight. 

“We’re calling it pinch, pizza by the inch,” said Obusan.  

The owners decided to open in Chapel Hill because the location worked well for the restaurant partners, as the two other owners, Sam Suchoff and Pete Wagner, are from Chapel Hill.

Wagner and Obusan said they worked together at Kipos on Franklin Street before opening Local 22 in Durham. Obusan moved from New York back to the Chapel Hill area a few months ago and reconnected with Wagner.

Obusan said they hope to be open by late September, and they will be located at 630 Weaver Dairy Rd.

"We hope Deli Edison will be part neighborhood hangout, part serious food emporium,” Suchoff said in a press release. “You can grab breakfast or lunch on the go, shop for meats or ingredients to prepare food at home or gather with family and friends outdoors in the courtyard over great food and drink."

Next up in Business

Next up in City & County

Next up in The OC Report

Next up in Food Issue

Next up in Local food and agriculture

Next up in Community members attend inaugural Chapel Hill-Carrboro Juneteenth events

Welcome Back Edition 2021