UNC defeats South Carolina 24-20 in Belk College Kickoff for first win of the season

unc football v Pittsburgh
Tailback Michael Carter (8) celebrates after scoring a touchdown. UNC won 38-35 vs. Pitt on Saturday, Sept. 22 2018.

The North Carolina football team defeated South Carolina in the Belk College Kickoff, 24-20 in the first game of the season, opening coach Mack Brown's return with a win. 

South Carolina started off the game tearing through the UNC defense, gaining 58 yards in just 9 plays, before being stopped at the the North Carolina 15 yard mark, settling for a 32 yard field goal. Newly converted linebacker Chazz Surrat nearly had a sack on the first drive, but was credited with the hurry that force the fourth down. 

The Tar Heels came back with a drive of their own, showcasing the newly implemented offense by gaining 70 yards in 11 plays before settling for a 22 yard field goal to tie the game. 

The Gamecocks scored the first touchdown of the game with 3:09 left in the first quarter, off a 34-yard run by Tavien Feaster down the left side of the field after he broke the tackle from North Carolina. 

The North Carolina defense held strong to end out the first quarter, and the USC offense was called for back-to-back false starts to put the team at the UNC 40 yard line. An incomplete pass from Gamecock quarterback Jake Bentley gave the team its fourth down to end the first quarter, before Parker White missed the field goal to open the second. 

UNC's first drive of the quarter was stymied by the South Carolina defense that saw true first-year quarterback sacked for the first time in his young career by Aaron Sterling, and then the Tar Heel's kick attempt is batted down by Javon Kinlaw. 

USC would add to its score after a 48 yard drive puts the team in field goal position. Parker White made the kick from 39 yards to give the Gamecocks a 10 points lead. North Carolina had a successful drive when the team got the ball back, highlighted by a 24 yard run by Michael Carter, but again played it safe in the end zone. Three back-to-back-to-back rushes from the 10-yard line only gives three yards, and the team had to settle for a field goal, cutting the lead to seven. 

North Carolina scores first in the third quarter after another strong drive ends with a field goal. After a 26-yard rush by Javonte Williams puts UNC within 30 yards, several more rushes get's the team to the South Carolina 5 yard line. For the first time, North Carolina attempts a pass in the end zone, but the throw from Howell is slightly behind tight end Carl Tucker, and the team kicks a field goal to cut the lead down to four, 13-9. 

South Carolina comes back and scored its second touchdown of the game, after a 60 yard return by Shai Smith eventually sets up Kyle Markway to slip down the middle for the score. The Tar Heels would drive the ball to the North Carolina 46 line, before Howell was sacked and fumbled the ball, with the Gamecocks recovering. 

North Carolina would stop the drive, but White would manage to punt the ball to the UNC 2-yard-line. The Tar Heels would take the ball and make their longest drive of the game, going a full 98 yards in just seven plays, including a 22-yard rush by Antonio Williams. It would be Dyami Brown, making a spectacular catch where he bobbled the ball twice before securing it in the end zone, to put UNC within 5. Howell would then take the ball himself, charging up the right side of the field into the end zone for the two-point conversion to make the score 17-20 UNC. 

North Carolina would come right back on the next drive with a pair of incredible passes from Howell to move the team off its own third-yard line right behind the halfway mark, finishing the drive with a touchdown by Beau Corrales to give the Tar Heels their first lead of the game. 

Howell, the first ever true first-year to start a season-opener for North Carolina, had a slow start to his first game, going only 7-11 in the first half for 94 yards. Relying on the run game and quick play option passes, the Monroe N.C. native didn't show much until the fourth quarter, where he started out with his 22-yard pass to Brown for UNC's first touchdown. Howell showed off his rushing ability by taking it into the end zone for the two point conversion. 

It was on the next UNC drive where the new quarterback exploded, making a game saving 31-yard pass to Dazz Newsome for a first down after North Carolina was backed up onto its own third-yard-line. He followed it up with a 21-yard pass to Newsome, and finished the drive with his 17-yard touchdown pass to Corralesfor the lead. 

South Carolina would get into scoring position twice more in the game, but Myles Wolfolk came up big with an interception both times before giving UNC the ball and letting the clock run out. 

North Carolina had a chance to ice the game after forcing the Gamecocks into a third down on their own 26 yard line. Jason Strowbridge nearly sacked Bentley, but missed the tackle and South Carolina managed to draw a pass interference on a Hail Mary pass. Myles Wolfolk would catch an interception three pays later though to take the ball back. When the UNC offense couldn't move onto the USC side of the field, South Carolina would get the ball back at the 37-yard mark after a 38-yard punt return by Bryan Edwards. Wolfolk would finally close out the game by making his second interception of the game, taking the ball to the USC 46 line before UNC let the clock run out. 

The North Carolina football team won a home opener against a Power 5 for the first time since 1997, when the team defeated Indiana. It was a gritty, come-from-behind win to start off the second act of Mack Brown's Tar Heel career. 

North Carolina next takes on Miami on Saturday, September 7 in Chapel Hill at Kenan Stadium. 

@bg_keyes