Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Now that we’re more than one month into the semester, everything feels like it’s picking up. This is typically when my creative outlets are pushed to the back-burner as I prioritize school, work, the post-grad job search, etc.

So, I’ve decided to spend 15 minutes each day this week to devote to ~something~ creative. If you care to join me on this challenge, here are 10 simple ways to integrate creativity into your day:

1. Play one of the pianos in the basement of Hill Hall, or scattered across the dorms. 
  2. Make a sketch. Draw what you see, or doodle straight from your imagination. 
  3. Journal what you dreamed about the night before. I’m not a huge believer in dreams having some sort of prophetic nature, but this can be a cool way to be introspective.
  4. Chef up a recipe from a cuisine you’ve been wanting to try. (Also, send me your recipes!)
  5. Utilize the Makerspace and 3D print your own design, or try out the laser cutter. You’ll need to complete the orientation and tool-specific trainings, but it’s worth it.
  6. Dance to a song that gets you in the feels – in your room, in the shower, on the second floor of the SRC or in public if you feel so inclined. 
  7. Experiment with a fun, new makeup look or hairstyle, just because. 
  8. Make a craft or wall art to liven up your home. There’s lots of inspiration on Pinterest and Buzzfeed. 
  9. Write a poem or song, stream-of-consciousness style. Put pen to paper on whatever comes to mind, without editing until the end of the 15 minutes. 
  10. Take advantage of the free Adobe Creative Cloud subscription we get as students, and mess around on Photoshop, Illustrator, Fresco, etc. There are lots of online tutorials and UNC workshops if you’re a newbie.