Art exhibit uses creative expression to engage in political discussion

20190922art-resistance-global-center.jpg

Ramón Nsé Esono Ebalé's exhibit, "The Art of the Resistance," will run in the Florence and James Peacock Atrium in the FedEx Global Education Center until Friday, Dec. 13, 2019. 

Bright colors and bold lines cover a canvas while scribbles of pen cover a scrap piece of cardboard — both mediums are among the work of artist Ramón Nsé Esono Ebalé on exhibit in the “The Art of Resistance.”

The FedEx Global Education Center hosted an opening reception for the exhibit on Sept. 24 in the Florence and James Peacock Atrium. The exhibition will run until Dec. 13. 

Emily Burrill, director of the African Studies Center at UNC, led a discussion with Ebalé and Tutu Alicante, director of human rights organization EG Justice.

“One of the core questions at the heart of all of this is, is creative expression and the ability to express political opinion a right? And where is it a right? Is it a human right? Is it a civil right? However these rights translate from a local context into bigger global contexts,” Burrill said. 

“It’s such an incredible opportunity to be able to exhibit Ramón Esono Ebalé’s award-winning art on our campus, and to have him join us for a week of conversations about his work,” said Angela Stuesse, associate professor of anthropology and global studies at UNC, in an email.

Attendees heard about the medium of Ebalé’s work, the time he spent detained in Equatorial Guinea and the global #FreeNseRamon movement, which called for Ebalé’s release.

“I think that Ramon’s story is very powerful, to be able to meet someone who’s been detained and held in prison for his politically outspoken work," Burrill said. "To talk to him about his experience, I think will be transformative for many people."

Prior to the discussion, Ebalé and Alicante offered a guided tour of the exhibit. An additional tour took place following the discussion at 7:30 p.m. 

“One of the most powerful pieces on display is the prison cell on the third floor. It vividly symbolizes what my country, Equatorial Guinea, has become for my fellow citizens who are denied basic human rights and freedom­,” Alicante said in an emailed statement. 

Angela Stuesse, associate professor of anthropology and global studies at UNC, said there are plans for additional programing to expand on the topics of the exhibit.

“To accompany and expand campus dialogue about the issues the exhibit explores, we’re planning a series of public lectures over the course of the semester” Stuesse said in an email. "On Oct. 8 Nicaraguan cartoonist Pedro X. Molina will join us to talk about his participation in the #FreeNseRamon campaign, as well as his work chronicling the deteriorating condition of Nicaraguan society in recent years."

Former U.S. Ambassador to Equatorial Guinea, Mark Asquino and Equatoguinean writer and activist, Trifonia Melibea Obono are also scheduled to speak on later dates.

Burrill said she hopes attendees leave this exhibit with a sense of the possibility for change. 

“I hope that people will be moved to think about what’s possible for people living under oppressive regimes, what are the ways that they can affect change and push back when it seems like they don’t have any power at all, that this is a way of using our voice,” Burrill said.