Suspect in verbal harassment complaint at Davis Library not caught by UNC Police

768_111davismcw_big.jpg
Davis library has added treadmill desks to its fifth floor. Photo by Margaret Cheatham Williams.

UNC Police responded to an incident of verbal harassment on Tuesday night outside of Davis Library, according to UNC Police spokesperson Randy Young. Police searched for the suspect, but did not find him. 

“UNC Police responded to the report of a male subject making inappropriate comments at Davis Library.  Police conducted a search for the suspect but were unsuccessful. Pepper spray was not deployed,” Young said in an emailed statement. 

This incident did not result in an Alert Carolina message sent to the UNC community. Kate Luck of UNC Media Relations said this was because the incident, while troubling, did not meet the criteria outlined on alertcarolina.unc.edu/about. 

Luck said UNC has no indication that this incident is related to the recent reported sexual assault at Shortbread Lofts parking deck on Friday morning, which is still under investigation.  

"UNC Police are working closely with the Chapel Hill Police Department to assist in their investigation of the attack at Shortbread Lofts. The UNC Police Department has provided additional patrols on foot and by vehicle since this incident occurred," Police Chief David Perry said in his statement.

Perry said students are encouraged to report suspicious activity to UNC Police by calling (919) 962-8100, or 911 in case of an immediate emergency.