Chapel Hill dental clinic supports local artists, hosting art exhibit in clinic

dentist-art-exhibit.jpg

This painting by Arianne Hemlein is one of many featured at the Holman Family Dental Care Quarterly Art Exhibit on Friday, Sept. 27, 2019. Photo courtesy of Arianne Hemlein. 

Holman Family Dental Care is hosting a quarterly art exhibit this Friday, Sept. 27 at 6:30 p.m. 

The family dentistry, which was founded in December 2017, is a gallery in and of itself, with intricate paintings and paper-crafts lining the walls of each room. 

Dr. Shaina Holman, the owner of the dental practice, said that art is important to the calming ambience of her clinic, as opposed to the bright and flashy screens. The art has received a positive response from patients, who are able to look around while waiting during check-ups, and they often buy pieces on display. 

Past shows have featured artists who use a variety of mediums and come from different backgrounds. The exhibit displays the work of established local artists, as well as work by art students with special needs. Holman said artists are not confined by any requirements or limits that influence the amount of work the practice shows. 

Holman said she finds many artists through the Networking Women of the Triangle group. She thinks the office has become known for its quarterly exhibits, and she now has people reach out to ask if she will feature their work in her practice. 

The quarterly show, in particular, has been successful among patients, friends, members of the community, and fans of the artists. The local promotion also brings in prospective patients who enjoy getting to know the dental team and the environment they work in. 

The three artists who currently have work on display are Arianne Hemlein, owner of Designs by Arianne, Salima Smith, owner of Eboni Blooms, and Beth Palmer. 

Hemlein has been working as a custom-paint artist out of Cary since she graduated from UNC. She frequently hosts team mural events and sip-and-paints, where attendees enjoy drinks and a painting lesson. She said she works mostly in acrylic paints. 

“My paintings are lively and colorful flights of fancy designed to express emotion and inspire joy,” Hemlein said.

Hemlein was connected to Dr. Holman through an artist friend who had previously exhibited at the Holman Family Dental Care. She said that the sales and response to her work have been affirming as a first-time exhibitor. 

Smith, who has lived in Chapel Hill for 10 years, works with paper flowers, making wall art for homes and offices and backdrops for photographers. She found out about the opportunity through an artist she met at the Carolina Women’s Show, who enthusiastically recommended that she talk to Dr. Holman about her quarterly art exhibit. 

“This is the first time I’m showing it with her, and I’m super excited,” Smith said. “For me, it’s not just about getting my art out there, but also about meeting my neighbors that live in this area.” 

Smith will also be showing her art at the Carolina Women’s Show on Oct. 18 and 19 in Chapel Hill. 

Palmer has also been exhibiting work with Dr. Holman for a while and has many large pieces up in the clinic’s lobby. 

The event this Friday has free admission, and food and drinks will be provided.