What to do with your parents on campus this Family Weekend

20190919_McConnell_FranklinRestaurants-29.JPG
Sutton's is a popular restaurant for visitors coming to UNC and Franklin Street.

Mack is back and so is Carolina Family Weekend. The annual visit of Tar Heel families concurs with the Appalachian State University vs. UNC home football game, as well as other fun-filled events on Friday, Sept. 20 through Sunday, Sept. 22. 

If you missed online registration for the Family Weekend events, you can register at the West Lounge of the Student Union on Friday from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Carolina BBQ tickets and event shirts will also be on sale.

A variety of attractions outside of the Family Weekend program are available to make this weekend one to remember. 

Tar Heel Treasure

For those who want to visit UNC's famous locations 

• UNC’s own Ackland Art Museum is holding 30-minute guided tours all weekend to explore its collections. One special event called “Family and Friends Sunday: Woodcarving, Calligraphy, and Mosaics, Oh My!” will be free and open to the public on Sept. 22. Attendees can explore recent installations of African sculptures and Islamic art, in addition to participating in scavenger hunts and art-making activities.
  • Stop by the Carolina Basketball Museum and dive into UNC basketball history through special photographs and other artifacts. The museum is on the first floor of the Ernie Williamson Athletics Center.
  • Challenge yourself to an urban dance class on Friday night at 9:30 p.m., held at the Underground in the bottom of the Student Union and taught by UNC students for free. A note about the Underground: A dance video to the song “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire was filmed there and currently holds over 1.5 million views! 
  • Attend one of UNC’s many lectures open to the public. On Friday at the Carolina Asia Center, Tyrell Haberkorn will be speaking on “Justice After Dictatorship in Thailand.” For other talks on justice and human rights, visit global.unc.edu. 

Leisure and Culture 

For culture, entertainment and laughter 

• Visit the Chapel Hill Public Library at dusk any day this weekend to view the 1971 outdoor art installation by Carolina Performing Arts as part of Craig Walsh’s Monuments series. Awe-inspiring videos of women's suffrage pioneers will be projected on trees outside of the library.
  • Iconic landmarks are always open to visit — and they make great settings for family photos. After taking a cool sip from the Old Well, consider a stroll through the beautiful Coker Arboretum — an aesthetic five acres of diverse plantings.
  • A trip to Franklin Street is essential for the full Tar Heel experience. Watch a movie at Varsity Theatre, snap photos at pleasant cafes like Carolina Coffee Shop and Cha House or eat at popular restaurants like Top of the Hill, Time-Out and Sup Dogs.