Hillsborough works to make playgrounds more inclusive with community input

Riverwalk_DSC_6588.JPG
The Riverwalk is just one of Hillsborough's many recreational outdoor spaces. Now, Hillsborough is seeking input from teenage community members on their Parks and Recreation Board.

In an attempt to be more inclusive, the Town of Hillsborough is exploring how to make its parks more accessible for all by potentially adding playground equipment compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The Hillsborough Parks and Recreation Board asked citizens of the town for their input regarding the addition of inclusive playground equipment to some of the local parks.

According to Public Space Manager Stephanie Trueblood, the topic of park accessibility is one that has come up multiple times in the past, but this is the first time that the board solicited feedback from the residents in Hillsborough. 

Mark Bell, Hillsborough commissioner and representative on the Parks and Recreation Board, recently added this topic to the Parks and Recreation board's agenda, hoping to “enhance and expand the services that (they) provide.” 

Bell said he felt the need to raise the topic due to both citizen requests and the desire of town staff and board members to express their recognition of the gap in the service the town is providing.

A town press release encouraged residents to come to the Parks and Recreation board meeting on Tuesday to discuss their opinions on the matter. Bell said he was pleased with the response the board received but mentioned more input is encouraged and welcomed. 

Citizens contributed by sending personal experiences and photographs from other, more inclusive parks the board could use for inspiration.

Bell said community members showed examples of specific equipment, including swings, zip lines and musical instruments. Additionally, residents suggested other measures the board could take to increase accessibility, such as increasing shade, which can be greatly beneficial for children with certain disabilities. 

Bell said the board would like to implement both interactive, ADA-compliant equipment and shaded areas in local parks. 

When it comes to the cost of these additions, Trueblood said it's difficult to determine an exact number because it depends on the type of equipment in addition to the location. 

“For instance if we were just to add one handicapped-accessible swing, in order to do that in our existing park, we would have to replace a piece of equipment," Trueblood said. "So the cost of the swing is not very much. It is usually probably $1,500 to $2,000, but to take out a piece of equipment and excavate the park and put in new footers and repair any drainage and do the installation and reapply the surfacing — that cost could grow to $15,000 to $20,000 very quickly for just one swing.” 

These additions would be paid for through the general fund and potentially grants, Trueblood said.

She said creating a balance between adding more accessible equipment and removing equipment admired by residents is another obstacle they're facing in these conversations. 

The board has instructed the town hall staff to come up with a rough budget to be considered for the next fiscal year, for which planning begins in early 2020, Bell said. But based on the number they come up with, the town might be able to find funding in this year's budget.

The town has not budgeted or created a design for the project so far. The Parks and Recreation Board is simply bringing attention to the topic and attempting to create a plan for future implementation.