Orange County prepares for rain, wind as Hurricane Dorian approaches N.C. coast

Hurrican_Florence_Chapel_Hill-1.jpg

A Carrboro fire truck drives through a flooded section of North Greensboro Street on September 17, 2018. Parts of Carrboro and Chapel Hill experienced flash flooding after feeling minimal effects from Hurricane Florence in early September. 

As Hurricane Dorian slowly crawls toward N.C., the Orange County community is communicating tips on how to be prepared in the event of an emergency.

According to recent weather reports, Orange County may only experience rain and moderately high winds as Dorian passes, but the towns of Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Hillsborough hope to be prepared for any potential disaster. 

Ran Northam, community safety communications specialist for the Town of Chapel Hill, said the town has experienced severe weather in the recent past with hurricanes Florence and Matthew, and those experiences have made them more prepared for Dorian's arrival. 

Flooding is one of Chapel Hill's main concerns when it comes to heavy rainfall, Northam said, so Town employees have been checking streams and storm drains all week to ensure they are free of any debris that would promote water backup and lead to potential flooding. 

Northam said staff have also been ensuring that Town facilities and equipment, such as traffic signal generators, are fully fueled and prepared to offer a quick response in the event of any power outages.

"It's kind of a coin toss right now as to whether we'll even be affected, but we're going to be prepared regardless," Northam said. "If it turns right at us, we'll be prepared for that even."

As of now, Northam said all town buildings and facilities plan to operate at normal business hours.

If there is the need for shelters during the storm, Northam said they would be opened by the county. Any needs for food or water resources would be coordinated and met by the county, as well. 

Chapel Hill Transit will remain open as long as it is safe for both the riders and staff members, Northam said. Any route closures or detours will be communicated on the Town's website and social media channels for the Town and Chapel Hill Transit. 

"That's one of our big things no matter what department it is," he said. "We want to be able to provide as much communication as we can to our residents so that everybody is well-informed... so that people don't put themselves in harm's way if they don't have to." 

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools announced Wednesday that it will release students three hours early on Thursday, Sept. 5, in order to avoid any potential severe weather. 

"This early dismissal will allow us to get our student drivers and bus riders safely home, prepare our buildings for any potential wind and rain, and return our employees safely to their families," the district's press release said.

The Town of Carrboro released a press release Wednesday advising residents of some measures they can take to prevent storm damage. The release also asked residents to clean any debris from their yards in order to prevent it from blocking storm drains, which could lead to flooding.

"Even though Orange County is not currently in a State of Emergency, we would like to urge residents to make preparations for the approaching storm," the release said.

According to the release, a coastal evacuation site has been established at Northgate Mall in Durham and has 1000 beds. In the event a local shelter is needed due to flooding or power outages, the release said Smith Middle School in Carrboro will be available to residents.

The Town of Hillsborough also released a press release Wednesday urging residents to stay informed and prepare for the storm by having an adequate supply of food, water, flashlights, batteries and first aid supplies.

Orange County residents are also urged to sign up for the county's text message alerts, OC Alerts

"Being uninformed in this kind of situation is what gets you in trouble," Northam said.

All the towns will release updates through their social media accounts.

@jameybcross