Office DJ: The paradox of Beatles deep cuts

Ryan Wilcox BMS.jpg

Ryan Wilcox, the Daily Tar Heel sports editor, poses for a portrait. 

I had a real problem making this playlist — what, exactly, is a Beatles deep cut?

The Fab Four of Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr are, conservatively, the most popular and influential band of all time. There have been books written about every album, song and vocal intonation in the group's history. How to make a playlist of lesser-known songs from the most well-known musical act of all time?

I quickly came to the conclusion that "Beatles deep cut" is an oxymoron — at least for a certain generation. When "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" dropped in 1967, American radio stations interrupted their regular programming to play the album non-stop, from start to finish. Even in 2019, the Beatles regularly dominate lists of vinyl record sales. My parents, and their parents, have the Beatles' music etched into their brains, and they're still buying their albums like they're going out of style (they're not).

My generation is a different story. From what I can tell, kids my age know the hits. They know "Come Together." They know "Let It Be." They know "Hey Jude." But after about, let's say, five to 10 songs, the average millennial caps out.

This playlist is, put simply, my favorite Beatles songs that the average college-age kid doesn't know. For the hardcore fans, keep that in mind. I know that "I Me Mine," for example, isn't exactly a diamond in the rough for anyone over the age of 40.

With that in mind, this playlist is also an invitation to either relive some historic tunes, or take the next step in your soon-to-be fervent Beatles fandom. Like most great music, the Beatles get better every time you push play.

Parents — share this with your kids. If you love them, that is. 

Millennials — listen to the playlist, you cowards. Lennon was wrong: living is easier when your eyes are wide open.

@ryantwilcox