Despite fun and games, Late Night with Roy provides a serious look at UNC first-years

20190927_LTWR-1662.jpg
First-year guard Cole Anthony (2) throws the ball in a exhibition game at Late Night With Roy on Friday, Sept. 27, 2019 in the Smith Center.

The North Carolina basketball team got to show off its new on-court talent and a whole lot more in the school’s annual Late Night with Roy event on Friday. The night featured dance-offs, shooting challenges, including three made half-court shots, and a scrimmage to cap things off. Even Roy Williams, in a pink blazer and Air Jordan shoes, got in on the fun.

But it’s the team's work behind the scenes that has the North Carolina squad thrilled for the start of the season.

While all four first-years have received warm welcomes to the campus, its point guard Cole Anthony who has generated the most excitement. Anthony, the No. 2 overall prospect in his class, according to ESPN, has impressed casual fans with highlight plays and fantastic dunks. 

His teammates share this enthusiasm, but they recognize that there is much more to Anthony than just his incredible athleticism. They say he is also a team player who tries to get everyone involved. 

“I think people don’t give him enough credit for how great of a passer he is as well,” graduate transfer Justin Pierce said. "He can obviously light it up, and he’s super athletic, but he’ll find guys. I think he’s going to have a phenomenal year for us.”

Anthony is also known around the team as a hard worker who strives to improve his game every day. He and fellow five-star recruit Armando Bacot have already impressed their veteran teammates in practice.

“Cole and Armando bring a lot in terms of talent and work ethic everyday,” Pierce said. 

Senior guard Brandon Robinson said Bacot, a center, has already helped his team improve.

“I think he's been very helpful to our team because he pushes the other bigs and helps them get better,” Robinson said. "Him and Garrison (Brooks) go at it a lot in practice and play with each other. So I see them getting better each and every day.”

While Bacot and Anthony get most of the hype, the other two first-years have impressed their teammates just as much. Both Anthony Harris and Jeremiah Francis are both coming off serious injuries – Harris tore his ACL in December, while Francis has suffered multiple setbacks from an injury suffered in December 2017.

Though neither played in the Friday scrimmage, both are working hard to get back on the court. Their teammates have taken notice.

“I’m in the gym at least two times a day, but I feel like every time I’m there, I see them there rehabbing and shooting,” sophomore guard Leaky Black said.

Harris and Francis may not get the most attention or the loudest cheers, but they have a chance to make a contribution to the team later down the line.

“They work,” Black said of the first-years. "They love to work, especially Ant and Jeremiah. Those guys aren't getting too much media as Cole and 'Mando, obviously, but those guys love to work. I work out with them almost everyday. I love working out with them. They are very mature for their age.”

Despite the fun and games, Late Night with Roy gave fans their first chance to get a sense of what the team's first-years can provide, both in 2019-20 and in years to come.

@ryanheller23