UNC dedicates new $15 million Media and Communications Center

2019_Carter_MediaAndCommOpening
The Media and Communications Center opened at the start of the 2019-2020 academic year. Positioned directly beside the Smith Center, it will aim to foster new opportunities for media members including students, students athletes, and members of the athletics department.

The North Carolina athletics department held a dedication ceremony for the recently completed Media and Communications Center and provided tours of the facility Friday.

The ceremony was held outside of the new building, right next to the Smith Center, and featured remarks from interim Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and athletic director Bubba Cunningham, among others.

During his remarks, Cunningham took a break from thanking donors and others who have supported North Carolina to mention one of the opportunities he personally believes the center will provide.

“This building gives us the opportunity to really highlight all the successes of our teams, our students and our coaches,” he said.

The center opened at the start of the academic year and aims to provide new opportunities for media members, students, student-athletes and members of the athletics department.

The new facility cost approximately $15 million to complete, and is home to around 30-32 writers, photographers, designers, sports information directors and more, per senior associate A.D. Steve Kirschner.

The first floor of the center is mainly used for audio and video production to go along with UNC’s partnership with ESPN and the ACC Network. As Kirschner described it, the “sexier” of the two main floors features studios for filming, audio recording rooms, video boards and control rooms to monitor games.

“Being a part of this, being a part of Carolina and all of its responsibilities and all its greatness and all its wonder is truly cooler than the other side of the pillow,” Antonio Tucker II, director of graphic design for UNC athletics, said in a speech.

The second floor is more of a traditional office space, with desks and meeting rooms for the content creators associated with the department.

Guskiewicz emphasized the value that the center, which he described as a “teaching laboratory,” can provide in terms of blending athletics with academics.

Examples include students like Adam Jordan and Caroline Bynum, two UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media students who spoke about their involvement with the athletics department.

“There’s been so much talk today of opportunity, and for good reason,” Jordan said. “Working for the outstanding people at GoHeels has provided both of us a chance to gain experiences we couldn’t have imagined coming into UNC.”

@McMastersJ