North Carolina field hockey defeats William & Mary 8-0 on Sunday

20190129_Robbins_DTH_FoltPizza_0453-2.jpg
Forward Catherine Hayden (8) prepares to pass the ball on Sept. 15, 2019. UNC's field hockey team won 8-0 against William and Mary.

The No. 1 UNC field hockey team dominated in their home game against William & Mary, beating the Tribe 8-0 on Sunday’s afternoon matchup, maintaining their undefeated record and setting a 28-game winning streak.

The Tar Heels (5-0) came out of the gate swinging and didn't let up the entire 60 minutes of play, dominating both offensively and defensively. UNC's offense scored eight goals while the defense held William & Mary (1-4) scoreless, allowing only four shots on goal the whole game. 

Senior Megan DuVernois got the Tar Heels on the board first with her second goal of the season within the first two minutes of the game. Momentum quickly increased with a second North Carolina goal coming moments later as senior Catherine Hayden scored her fourth of the season on a long pass from sophomore Erin Matson. Hayden followed up with another goal off a rebound in the first, giving the Tar Heels a substantial lead. 

The second period was slower in action, but a late goal by Hayden assisted by sophomore Riley Fulmer gave the offense a boost. 

In the third, senior Marissa Creatore scored her fifth of the season on an unassisted goal and Fulmer put the Tar Heels up by one more with a feed from sophomore Abby Pitcairn. Junior Eva Smolenaars scoring on an assist by Yentl Leemans from a penalty corner sealed the deal for UNC with a seven-point lead. 

The Tar Heel's offensive momentum did not slow in the fourth. Matson scored in the first few minutes of the period off an assist by Leemans, scoring her sixth of the season. North Carolina put up a season high of eight goals in one game. 

A William & Mary goal in the fourth was waived off, giving UNC their second shutout of the season after beating Penn 6-0 last week, too. 

Hayden finished this game with a hat trick. The senior scored three of the eight North Carolina goals, doubling her season record from three coming into this matchup to six.  

The Tar Heels had a fast start, coming out with three quick goals in the first period. The team has struggled in their first four games getting offense started early — the team previously did not have a goal in the first period — but the Tar Heels made sure to break that trend by scoring three in the first against William & Mary. 

This William & Mary matchup was North Carolina's last game before its ACC opener on Sept. 20. With this win, the team remains in the top spot as it works towards another conference title. 

North Carolina moves on with a 28-game winning streak, hoping to beat the current program record of 29 consecutive wins. 

The Tar Heels head back into battle against Louisville at 5 p.m. on Sept. 20 at Shelton Stadium in Chapel Hill.

@macyemeyer