Here's what went wrong against App State for UNC football

20190921_CARTER_FBvApp-5.jpg

Appalachian State wide receiver Malik Williams (14) is taken down by UNC players in Kenan Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019. UNC lost to Appalachian State 34-31.

Through four games, while it's not clear what exactly UNC's football team is, it is clear what its weaknesses are. The Tar Heels are currently 26.5 point underdogs to Clemson, who they face on Saturday, the largest underdog point spread for UNC since 2004. If the team wants any chance of saving face and preventing a blowout against the reigning champions, here's what needs to be fixed. 

Starting Off Strong

All points are created equal, even the ones not scored in the final quarter. North Carolina is 12th in the nation in fourth quarter points, averaging 11.2 a game. Unfortunately for them, there's still a whole other 45 minutes to play in a game — 45 minutes where UNC only averages 14.1 points a game. 

Even those numbers are deceiving. On Saturday, UNC scored on its very first play of the game — its next two trips down the field were a three-and-out and an interception. Against Wake Forest and South Carolina, the team couldn't find the end zone at all. 

North Carolina needs to find a way to get consistent offense going earlier in the game. That may be easier said than done with starting center Nick Polina out indefinitely with a lower body injury, and now starting left tackle Charlie Heck questionable against Clemson. 

Losing those blockers puts more pressure on Sam Howell, and it makes life harder for Javonte Williams and Michael Carter in the run game. But injuries are a part of football, and it's do-or-die time for the current starts Brian Anderson and Joshua Ezeudu. 

Converting Third Downs

Through four weeks, the Tar Heels have been one of the worst teams in the nation at converting on third downs. Currently, they're 123 out of 130, having converted only 16 times on 58 chances. That needs to change. 

On the plus side, the team is seven of eight when it decides to go for it on fourth downs. But UNC has had far too many three-and-out far too many times this season, including seven times against Appalachian State. 

The Tar Heels need to score earlier, and that means putting together good drives before the fourth quarter. Finding a way to move the chains, whatever that may be, will have to be part of it. 

Cutting Down on Mistakes and Staying Consistent

Mack Brown said it himself — this UNC team gets down on itself when things start to go wrong. 

Appalachian State had its fair share of demoralizing plays against the Tar Heels, including a near sack turning into a 50-yard gain on a run by Mountaineers quarterback Zac Thomas. And then there was the fumble by Sam Howell that turned into six quick points for Appalachian. 

That disastrous start for UNC would be enough for the Mountaineers survive a late fourth-quarter push by Howell and the offense late in the fourth quarter. Those mistakes went along with the two interceptions by Howell, and Jeremiah Gemmel getting ejected for targeting. 

Those mental errors have killed the team this season — they have the potential to lead to an all-time embarrassment against Clemson. This is a team that's hung 52, 41 and 52 again on teams. UNC will need to be next-to-perfect to stand a chance. 

@bg_keyes