Daavettila, Graham fall in quarterfinals of the Oracle ITA Masters

Alexa Graham Duke ACC
Alex Graham competing in the ACC Championship against Duke in 2019. On Friday, the senior lost in the quarterfinals of the Oracle ITA Masters to Pepperdine's Ashley Lahey

The North Carolina women’s tennis team sent its top players to Malibu, California this weekend to compete with the nation’s premier collegiate talent. The ITA Oracle Masters tournament brings 32 of the top-ranked women together for an import early-season litmus test. 

The experienced senior duo of Sara Daavettila and Alexa Graham represented the Tar Heels, competing in both singles and mixed doubles play.

In her fourth consecutive appearance in the tournament, the No. 7 Daavettila proved her ranking as one of the best, starting her senior campaign off strong with a 6-2, 6-4 first round singles victory over Rosie Cheng from William and Mary. 

Graham made her inaugural appearance in Malibu on Thursday. Her matchup against Stony Brook’s Jamie Wei saw the No. 4 ranked Graham battle to a 6-0, 7-6 victory to advance to the second round. 

UNC carried Thursday’s momentum into Friday’s mornings matches. Daavettila dismantled St. Johns’ Jessica Livianu in an efficient 6-1, 6-3 win while Graham handled No. 33 Petra Melounova of Hawaii, 6-0, 6-4.

Despite early success, both Tar Heels stumbled in the next round as the level of competition increased. 

Daavettila’s quarterfinal matchup pitted the veteran against the nation’s top-ranked first-year player from Virginia, Natasha Subhash. Her fourth appearance in Malibu ended in disappointment as she lost to the young Cavalier in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. 

The wheels continued to fall off for the Tar Heels as Graham faced off against No. 14 Ashley Lahey from Pepperdine. This battle between top-ranked players was eerily reminiscent of a big matchup last spring. While Graham ended Lahey’s season in the second round of the NCAA tournament last season, it was Lahey who send Graham packing in Malibu, defeating the formidable Tar Heel in straight sets, 7-6, 6-1.

A type of match unique to the ITA Oracle Masters was interspersed throughout the singles play. Mixed doubles, which takes a male and female from two different schools and pairs them together for the weekend. While Daavettila and her partner made a quick first round exit, Graham found some unexpected chemistry with Texas A&M’s Hady Habib and advanced to the semifinals.

While quarterfinal exits for may come as a disappointment, both seniors showed flashes of brilliance in the first two rounds that should keep spirits high going into the spring season. Daavettila showcased her consistency in big time events such as the ITA Oracle Masters. Her quarterfinal finish this years puts an end to an impressive 4 year run in which she reached the semifinals as a first year, the quarterfinals as a sophomore, and the second round as a junior. 

Graham’s semifinal finish in the mixed doubles proved her versatility as a doubles partner going into the regular season. She and Daavettila are currently ranked 20th in the nation as a doubles pairing, and her success in the unique circumstances of mixed doubles bodes well for the Tar Heels moving forward.

The North Carolina women’s tennis team will continue their road trip in Malibu this Thursday as they compete in the Women’s Collegiate Classic at Pepperdine University. 

@fleetwilson