Austin, Harrison dominate in UNC volleyball's 3-1 win over Hokies

20191006_Coffey_Volleyball.jpg
The UNC volleyball team prepares to take on Virginia Tech on Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019 at Carmichael Arena.

Every time a UNC volleyball player secures a kill in Carmichael Arena, the word "kill" flashes on the video board. On Sunday, that word popped on the video board 69 times, as the North Carolina volleyball team defeated Virginia Tech, 3-1, in Chapel Hill. 

Of those 69 kills, a season-high for UNC, redshirt first-year Lauren Harrison and first-year Parker Austin combined for 36. In the win, Austin and Harrison not only led the team in kills, but they also showcased the solid foundation of young talent the Tar Heels have. 

To start the first set, a kill from Austin gave UNC the first point of the match. Right after Austin's strike, Harrison secured back-to-back kills, giving North Carolina an early 3-0 lead.

After that quick start, North Carolina rolled to a victory in the first set, 25-20. UNC combined for 18 team kills in the set — Harrison earned six, and Austin accounted for three. 

Even though UNC dropped the second set, 25-22, to Virginia Tech, both Harrison and Parker didn't slow down. In the close set — which had 17 ties and eight lead changes — Harrison and Parker combined to have 10 kills.

With the match tied, 1-1, North Carolina bounced back and was able to win the next two sets to seal Sunday's match.

Harrison, who missed the 2018 season due to an injury and had to redshirt, has quickly become a staple for the Tar Heels. Against Virginia Tech, Harrison secured 22 kills, a new record in her young career. After this performance, Harrison now has 147 total kills this season and leads the team in that category. However, Harrison notes that her success is a team effort. 

“I think it goes to show how much the setters and I have connected and grown because, at first, I wasn’t getting that many kills.” Harrison said. “To see the connection between the setters and I definitely is a good thing. And also the back row can help me call shots, so some of the kills are theirs.”  

Along with Harrison, newcomer Austin is making her mark, even as one of the youngest members of the team. 

Against the Hokies, Austin secured 14 kills. Throughout the season, Austin has notched a total of 143 kills, second on the team behind Harrison. In the midst of her first collegiate season, Austin is excited about making an impact so soon. 

“It is kinda surreal a little bit, being a freshman and coming here from high school," Austin said. "Being a good player in high school then coming here and really getting that chance to play. A chance to prove yourself is, like, super awesome. It is really surreal.”  

Harrison and Austin also both finished in the top three in points against the Hokies by scoring 22 and 14, respectively. The pair lead the team in total points this season as well, with 164 for Harrison and 159 for Parker.

North Carolina head coach Joe Sagula said he was thankful that he has two go-to players, not just this season but in seasons to come.

"We know we can go to them, and they feel confident, and the team feels confident," he said. "(That's) something last year that we were a little bit up in the air about, and we have that."

@TorreNetkovick