Guest column: Introducing a coalition of students against identity-based violence

The 2019 AAU campus climate survey results were released before Fall Break and demonstrate what many people on campus already knew to be true: sexual violence is widespread, common and can impact anyone regardless of their gender identity. 

Furthermore, we know that students with marginalized identities such as racial/ethnic minorities and LGBTQ students are more likely to be victimized and face greater barriers toward seeking help, reporting and achieving a just outcome in the criminal, civil or campus justice system. 

The broadest view of the data shows that out of students in their fourth year or higher, almost half of undergraduate women experienced a form of sexual violence, defined as anything from unwanted sexual touching to rape. One-third of undergraduate transgender/gender non-conforming students and nearly 12 percent of undergraduate men experienced some form of sexual violence in 2019. 

This data emphasizes the need for a student-led coalition against violence on campus. In response to the survey data, the University is calling for: “a coalition of students, faculty and staff to assess additional areas of need for prevention, develop a plan for implementation, oversee implementation and serve as a resource for all prevention efforts on campus.” 

However, the University does not have a great track record on following through with these calls to action. Students must use this moment to mobilize and put pressure on the University to make long-lasting changes that strengthen survivors’ reporting options, support and fund violence prevention programming and ensure that survivors are able to access trauma-informed care in a timely manner.

We are inviting you to join the Coalition Against Violence (CAV), which aims to be the hub of student’s mobilization and organizing against violence on campus. CAV is a response to the AAU survey about sexual violence, but will serve as an umbrella organization focusing on preventing all forms of identity-based violence in the UNC community.

Identity-based violence refers to violence against an individual, group, or community because of their association with a socially salient identity, such as gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, nationality, ability, class, etc. Identity-based violence encompasses a broad range of behavior beyond physical violence, including emotional, psychological, verbal, spiritual and financial violence.

Violence is rooted in inequitable and unjust systems of power, domination and oppression. Exploring the sexist, racist, classist, ableist, misogynistic, heterosexist and xenophobic nature of violence is essential because all systems of power and oppression are inherently related. Eliminating violence must be approached from an intersectional understanding that gives voice to multiple experiences and perspectives. In order to eradicate one form of violence and oppression, we must work to eradicate all forms of violence and oppression.

Violence prevention means fighting against the cultures of violence that exist in our society by challenging societal norms and constructs. We must work to promote new norms of consent, respect and compassion. Through prevention-centered education, support and advocacy, CAV envisions a campus free from all forms of violence.

You can get involved by joining the Coalition Against Violence! Our first interest meeting will take place on Wednesday, October 30th at 6:30 p.m. in Student Union Rm 2420. Please fill out this Google Form to RSVP, or indicate your interest if you cannot make it to the meeting. You can also mark yourself as “GOING” on our Facebook event here. Additionally, reach out to cavuncch@gmail.com with any questions.

Collaboration is powerful. Join us as we create a campus that is free of violence, together. 

Written by the Coalition Against Violence Advisers:
Abby Cooper -
abbyrc@live.unc.edu, Public Policy & Women’s & Gender Studies, co-director of outreach for Healthy Heels Ambassadors, outreach chair for Feminism for All, policy intern at Orange County Rape Crisis Center

Alli Whitenack – allipau@live.unc.edu, Global Studies & Political Science, president of Healthy Heels Ambassadors, crisis companion at Orange County Rape Crisis Center

Hannah Day – hannahed@live.unc.edu, Global Studies, co-chair for Carolina Advocates for Gender Equity (CAGE)

Lucy Russell – lucyrussell@unc.edu, Public Policy